Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#31075 04/04/2010 12:22 AM
A
OP Offline
A
quote:
"This hobby is a continuing education" JWotka

And the above quote ought to be emblazoned at the top of this forum! Cool

Ok Joe:
I'll certainly defer to you on the sequential number point as I know you've studied this area a great deal. However; Why picture this hanger here? It isn't pictured with any other hangers.
Catalogues are usually designed so potential purchasers can go thru them and pick out items they wish to purchase and any associated items that go with the principal item.
I am trying to make sense of displaying this hanger next to that particular sword if it wasn't an associated item for that sword?
Jim

#31076 04/04/2010 03:11 PM
Jim M. I hope we are still all talking about the chain hanger... Right??? The Item that started this thread...as these are the common hangers that I'm talking about.. Regards: James

#31077 04/04/2010 03:45 PM
A
OP Offline
A
quote:
Originally posted by DAMAST:
Jim M. I hope we are still all talking about the chain hanger... Right??? The Item that started this thread...as these are the common hangers that I'm talking about.. Regards: James

DAMAST:
I'm still talking about the chained hanger but I can't speak for everyone else. Big Grin
Jim

#31078 04/06/2010 09:21 PM
F
F
Quote by Houston:

Could have, might have, I believe, possibly. All this subjective jazz from someone who DEMANDS absolute, clear cut BLOOD evidence from others. Come on Fred. Play by your own rules. Talk about absurd.

Houston, of course I am demanding and exacting in the pursuit of evidence – it is precisely this kind of attention to detail that allows us to learn things. You stipulated that the chains in question had never been official German issue. Well, that is probably correct – as far as nationally proscribed military dress is concerned – but it is not the complete answer.

My sole comment – agreeing totally with Jim M - about the potential for such a chain pattern being used by some German State, or even the early SS, was simply to emphasise that you cannot realistically dismiss the possibility out of hand. After all, if we relied upon your word, you definitively state that they are the chains for US 1902 pattern sword – and therefore by inference, for no other sword pattern. No doubt they are the pattern used for the US M1902, but not exclusively so. The evidence - the hard documented evidence - shows that they were also used elsewhere. Your allegation of my comment being “absurd” appears to be lacking in substance.

ORPO – I appreciate your comment, about the same chain pattern being used by the Portuguese, as well as some other South American countries. However, I checked my Eickhorn Portuguese Catalogue, and I am obliged to report to you that the chain hanger shown for Portugal (Pattern 1448 b) is NOT the same. I also have the Eickhorn catalogue for Switzerland and it too shows a chain hanger (Pattern 1654), and that is different yet again. (See image)

As I don’t seem to have a copy of the South American catalogue, I would appreciate it if you would be good enough to show us images of the chain patterns Nr.1459 & Nr.320 – which you state are the same as the Dutch pattern, and therefore the same as the type worn on the US Model 1902. It will help to clarify matters.

I do agree with Jim M’s submission, that this chain pattern could have been used on the early SS Sabres – and I did state that was in the period prior to the adoption of the standardized Degen pattern. One feature that is absolutely clear is that the production of SS Sabres in the early period was less regulated than that of SS daggers. There were a lot of variations from different companies – Eickhorn, WKC (two types), possibly Weyersberg, and others. With such a variety of Sabres being utilized, it would be hardly surprising if some odd variants of the sword hanger found their way into use.

So will we find photographic evidence that shows a similar sword hanger being carried by the early SS? Well, it is such a difficult thing to see on a photo, I suspect that this will preclude any possibility of observing such a feature. Do I think this style of sword hanger was carried by the early SS? Well, no – at least no more so than any of the other obscure hangers which were commercially available at the time. And that is the crux of this issue – there were numerous SS sword variations. Who is to say that there was no variation in individual choices of sword hanger?

FJS

Chain_hangers_for_GD_(2).jpg (53.23 KB, 117 downloads)
#31079 04/18/2010 10:35 PM
Klaus Patzwall's magazine "Militaria" of Sept/Okt 2002 (Heft 5) has an excellent article by Dirk Stefanski on the SS officer's saber (Die Fuhrersabel der SS) that is well illlustrated with period photos of SS officers wearing various styles of sabers from the likes of WKC or Puma. For the most part, the officers can be seen using the standard black tear-drop hanger attached to the single scabbard ring. It is well worth the effort to secure a copy from the publisher.

"This hobby is a continuing education"
Looking for Walther Model 8 #727649
and Walther PP #975557
#31080 04/19/2010 09:55 AM
Well. I know that it cannot be taken 1:1 but here is an article out of the period "uniform market" concerning questions after chain hangers for RAD leader hewers (interestingly they said "leader´s DAGGER"): They were strictly forbidden... only leather hangers were allowed. It also states that "some manufacturer´s own creations are not allowed to be worn".
Personally I think such comparing strict regulations did exist for all edged weapons, we would have only to find them.
Here again it comes to my mind "if you want to collect german items you have to think german" (not meant in ANY POLITICAL way!!!).
Regards,

RAD-Kettengehaenge.jpg (45.89 KB, 58 downloads)

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
#31081 04/19/2010 05:48 PM
Accessories like hangers, and knots etc. are not an area where I have a lot of focused interest. And I don't claim any special expertise. That said, when SS bayonets were being discussed a few years back, I was amazed at the diversity seen in the early photographs. Uniforms, rifles, bayonets and other items. From my perspective, it seems that in the early years they used whatever they could get their hands on. Versus later on as things became more organized. FP

#31082 04/19/2010 07:25 PM
FP, you are quite right, in period photographs (not only early ones) you can find a lot of anomalies and things against regulations.
What I wanted to express is that this certain kind of chain hangers, especially for sabres, were not common to german edged weapons.
Nevertheless we have learned in our hobby never to say never Wink.
Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,718 SS Bayonets
1,762,617 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,626 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Latest New Posts
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 04/24/2024 07:31 PM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:28 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by benten - 04/23/2024 12:49 PM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/23/2024 10:02 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,053
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (Eric26, Dean Perdue, The_Collector, Fitzer, Mikee, Luftbud, Jonesy, Gaspare), 890 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod