Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#299148 07/12/2014 09:40 AM
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Years a go i got within a large lot of rings a mint skull with patch.
2 piece, skull hollow soldered on with some faults on the skullfrom manufacturing, but a very rare pattern.
Now i found the perfect match in a advert:

skull&advert.jpg (111.75 KB, 243 downloads)

�Eine gewaltt�tige, herrische, unerschrockene, grausame Jugend will ich. Jugend muss das alles sein. Schmerzen muss sie ertragen. Es darf nichts Schwaches und Z�rtliches an ihr sein. Das freie, herrliche Raubtier muss wieder
aus ihren Augen blitzen."
Thanks for this Odal, I have the same ring although mine is the version with the sleeping ruby eyes.

R
R
Hello G.,

I own a very similar pattern but not the exact same, again in two pieces with hollow skull soldered on.
Interesting to see obvious fault is not always a red flag.

Ric

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi friends!
Thanks for friendly coments - would be nice to see your rings here in this thread.
The sleeping eyes i remember very well grin

�Eine gewaltt�tige, herrische, unerschrockene, grausame Jugend will ich. Jugend muss das alles sein. Schmerzen muss sie ertragen. Es darf nichts Schwaches und Z�rtliches an ihr sein. Das freie, herrliche Raubtier muss wieder
G
G
they would sometimes come with red glass eyes.. And called Eastern Front ring because the Poppy was Ukraine's national flower [on sides of band.]
Really weird is,,for some reason they covered up a different pattern skull with this one shown!!

Last edited by Gaspare; 07/14/2014 04:43 AM.
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes G., usually a one piece struck ring from the Frey company.

Have you noticed in the advert - it is for this 2 piece variant with glaseyes.

G
G
yes and don't know why the one skull replacing/hiding the original.[?]

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Not sure too - but maybe only a variant of the wellknown onepiece-pattern.
On this ring the innerside of the band (behind the skull) is plain.
Maybe i find the time these days for some sidebyside-shots.

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
here the sidebyside - im still missing this pattern with red eyes grin

schädel mix.jpg (119.36 KB, 183 downloads)

G
G
interesting rings.
- the ring on left. Pretty sure the fault on front is from a worn/repaired die...

I have seen the ring on the right,,that obviously had the skull of the ring on left , [with a hollow version of it] covering the skull pattern on the right! crazy!

Why? I don't know. Been trying to figure it out for years!

So we have the 2 patterns here plus one with a hollow skull soldered on covering the original skull..
One of ring collecting mysteries!

Last edited by Gaspare; 07/20/2014 02:56 AM.
R
R
Go.,

beautiful pics, thanks for posting.

Ric

G,
Could you elaborate more. I'm not tracking. Thanks

G
G
Mikee ,

There are examples out there [pretty rare] of this ring:

Odals example shown on right..
With a hollow version of the skull Odal has on left.
The hollow skull is soldered on and covering the skull on the ring...
I've seen a few examples of them but never been able to figure out why it was done. Different manufacturers made this famous pattern band but with 2 different skulls.[?]

G,
Thanks and interesting for sure. Do you have an example of one and could it have been an option? If you've seen this a number of times it could of been an option,just simply preference? And maybe easier?

G
G
sorry, at moment don't have an example. I will be looking for one to put up here...
Reason? Maybe, maybe the ring was copied and the originators put up a fuss[?] , so other company covered for a while?

G
G
here it is!,,skull ring to start with,,but a replaced skull [?]

Pretty sure this is a good ring. Why the replaced skull? Maybe a design ownership type thing which is rare during the 3rd reich for non party/SS items..

s-306d%20(6).jpg (103.95 KB, 129 downloads)
s-306d%20(7).jpg (91.85 KB, 130 downloads)
odal Offline OP
OP Offline
whistle
Very interesting!
Yes, i agree, very nice looking ring. Looks authentic,
But thisskull is from an other pattern.
In this ring someone mixed two different patterns.

Just re-studied these photographs..

G.. Nice suprise for you possibly.. Im nearly 100% sure your pattern is a sleeping eyes version, it looks how mine did before it was repaired by myself (previous theatre repaired in my opinion now i see yours clearer). Look deep inside the sockets, what you see is the top side of the balanced weight without the glass eyes, on the top of that weight are your glass eyes. Yours is probably filled with dust & dirt and god knows what else! thus the tilting weight will not move.

My example has a rivet in the top of the skull forehead, and the bottom jaw.. Going through to the rear of the ring, i removed these to clean out the dirt and re-position the weight in order to get the eyes moving again, and simply re fitted the pins.. Yours is possibly a 100% original example showing that the skull face was infact soldered onto the band when new, opposed to riveted like i had thought with many.. Mine has clearly been repaired in its life before.

Yours may just need a good clean out with some air or alcohol and may work like a dream again. If the weight has come off the brackets however it will not be that easy sadly.

Perhaps i am wrong..

NB: This pattern does not have another skull behind the hollow one, simply a flat plate with a soldered bracket for the eye weight.

odal Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: svenga
Just re-studied these photographs..

G.. Nice suprise for you possibly.. Im nearly 100% sure your pattern is a sleeping eyes version, it looks how mine did before it was repaired by myself (previous theatre repaired in my opinion now i see yours clearer). Look deep inside the sockets, what you see is the top side of the balanced weight without the glass eyes, on the top of that weight are your glass eyes. Yours is probably filled with dust & dirt and god knows what else! thus the tilting weight will not move.

My example has a rivet in the top of the skull forehead, and the bottom jaw.. Going through to the rear of the ring, i removed these to clean out the dirt and re-position the weight in order to get the eyes moving again, and simply re fitted the pins.. Yours is possibly a 100% original example showing that the skull face was infact soldered onto the band when new, opposed to riveted like i had thought with many.. Mine has clearly been repaired in its life before.

Yours may just need a good clean out with some air or alcohol and may work like a dream again. If the weight has come off the brackets however it will not be that easy sadly.

Perhaps i am wrong..

NB: This pattern does not have another skull behind the hollow one, simply a flat plate with a soldered bracket for the eye weight.

whistle
Wow, yes!
I think you are right!
That would of course explain this second hollow skull soldered on Gaspares ring. And the holes in the eyes of this skull.
For me you have hit the nails head!
But as it looks the mechnism isn`t there anymore.

Last edited by odal; 01/16/2015 06:09 AM.

G
G
guys the ring I show on this page I do not own frown

IF I did it would really be thoroughly inspected/checked out..

There are many skull variants of this band pattern. I've seen a smashed up dug example that you could see the flat skull underneath the bigger hollow skull soldered over it.
Yes, there could also be 'sleep eyes' example. [Please can you show yours]. And of course as the advert shows big skull/gem eyes..

Any other examples out there?

Moderated by  Stephen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,488 SS Bayonets
1,761,980 Teno Insignia Set
1,130,915 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Overslept a development???
by Luftbud - 04/16/2024 01:03 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 10:17 PM
CLAY TOBACCO PIPES
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/14/2024 06:25 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,017
Members7,516
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (sod, Cameron, Documentalist, The_Collector, Matarese, Stephen, atis, polop), 468 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod