Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Online Content
No disrespect Craig but until more Photo documentation and viable input is added to what already is half of nothing,, the discussion is pretty much ended. If there are "Blood Stone" squeezers out here that know something, lets hear it,, but until then what else can be said? The topic has thinned...or someone is holding out for the H*LL of it! Now a 5th page has begun.

Last edited by Siegfried B; 08/13/2011 02:57 PM.

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
OP Offline

Last edited by Dave Hohaus; 08/14/2011 03:27 PM. Reason: Bating

Craig Gottlieb
Founder, German Daggers Dot Com
www.cgmauctions.com
F
F
Craig,

It does not have any “casting flaws”; and the ageing of it is consistent throughout. The presence of “corrosion” is an illusion – what has actually happened is that the gold-wash on the metal parts has started to bubble and lift in some areas, and it creates the impression of corrosive pock-marks. The fact that the dagger was given a clear lacquer finish before it was sent out from the factory has added to this visual effect. This lacquer has started to degrade, and become a translucent honey colour, creating the impression of a dull, matt yellow gold. The dagger is actually in much better condition that the photographs imply.

The swastika in the pommel appears to be some form of enamel – but unlike more usual glass enamel, it has started to degrade. I do not have an explanation to account for this.

The piece has been left, un-cleaned and untouched since it was brought back in 1947. The only thing I have done with it is to give it a wipe over with a soft, dry cloth – just to get the dust off it.

I am rather annoyed at the person who broke a confidence and leaked some images. This against an all guaranteed confidential agreement that the images were for “personal appraisal” only. And I have since told that person so, and they will never again receive any help from myself what ever the circumstances – not ever.

I am attaching two photographs; one of myself with the dagger – taken today 13 August, 2011, to show that I really do own it. The other is a full length study of the dagger obverse, I submit this just to end speculation regarding what the dagger really does look like. I am unconcerned opinions concerning its authenticity. I know what it is; I have my research and my information, and I am satisfied that I really have discovered the answer.

I have nothing further to say about the piece. If I am unable to post the photos, I will arrange to have someone else do it for me.

Frederick J. Stephens

NSKK 1A.jpg (19.64 KB, 366 downloads)
NSKK 2A.jpg (13.88 KB, 365 downloads)
Last edited by Dave Hohaus; 08/14/2011 03:12 PM. Reason: Bating
S
S
Hello Fred....Please don't shoot the rest of us because of gottlieb....(the heck with him)I would love to see some nice detailed photos of this dagger.

you wrote:

"I have my research and my information, and I am satisfied that I really have discovered the answer."

Is there a way you could tell us something??
How long have you had this dagger Fred?

Thanks Fred

Regards,Sepp

GDC 0292 Gold

Last edited by Sepp; 08/14/2011 02:02 PM.
Sepp #250282 08/14/2011 03:00 PM
Online Content
Craig and Frederick,

I've had enough of you two baiting each other. I don't care who started it or why, but do it again on GDC and you get two weeks off.

I'm going to go back and take out all of what I consider baiting and insults.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Hohaus; 08/14/2011 03:14 PM.
Dave #250283 08/14/2011 03:13 PM
F
F
Dave,

Why didn't you take Craig's remarks out before I responded? You have had 5 pages of input before I spoke up, but then it appears that I am not allowed to complain!

I would much prefer that you leave my response as it is, or alternatively remove my photographs and text altogether, rather than you have the presumption that you can sub-edit it.

Frederick J. Stephens

Online Content
Fred,

I did not see those last few remarks until just now. The first one might have passed for humor (humour to you) but not others. Your post was in response to Graig's, but having edited his, I have also edited yours and I think I have taken all objectionable bits out.

If you would care to show us more, we would really to see the details and your analysis of what it is. I would like to see better pictures. If you wish, send them to me I will post them.

Regards,
Dave

Dave #250285 08/14/2011 03:41 PM
Online Content
One last item: If any of you feels that someone is baiting or insulting you, send Vern or myself an email and it WILL be checked out. Don't answer yourself, contact us or a Mod.

Thanks,

Dave@germandaggers.com
Vern@germandaggers.com

Dave #250286 08/14/2011 04:09 PM
OP Offline
I agree with Dave, and thanks to Dave for cleaning anything up he felt was inappropriate. I have always been up-front with posting photos of my daggers, and am glad these images are now forthcoming. Regarding this piece, now that we know who owns it, I would be glad to hear from Fred why the pommel has no design on the reverse?

Last edited by Craig Gottlieb; 08/14/2011 04:10 PM.

Craig Gottlieb
www.cgmauctions.com
Dave #250288 08/14/2011 04:37 PM
M
M
I usually don't post any of my opinions because, truthfully, I just don't know enough. BUT, I will post this; I try to learn from ALL those I consider "experts" in this field and when a subject like this comes up and does more damage than good to the novice collector and the hobby, in general, I feel duped. There are so many "real" issues that I have to deal with, without dealing with someone(or more) playing games. I feel like someone is wasting my time and I TRUST you guys. PLEASE- Keep it real or I'll be gone. Not that that really means anything to some of you "Big Boys". I have learned a LOT from this website and would hope to lean more. But I need to feel safe. I may be ranting but, GIVE ME A BREAK SORRY if I wasted anyones time or got off the track but I needed to say something-for my sake. Respectfully, Mark Giannullo

OP Offline
Mark: Great post. By way of background, there is a history of back and forth surrounding NSKK daggers here on GDC. It's probably why someone sent me the original photos I got of this dagger, and why subsequently, I received a PDF advertisement for its sale. Someone obviously wanted entertainment here on GDC, and they won't get it. What they should get (as should we all) is healthy debate about this unique and interesting dagger. As I said from the very beginning, I think the dagger has hope, but would want a lot of things explained before I gave it my endorsement. The most problematic for me is the lack of design on the reverse of the pommel. To a lesser but equally important degree, I would like to know about the uneven key-design on the scabbard tip (the other similar dagger has a very even key-design feature). Other problems include the apparently uneven age to the piece, and other issues that have been raised above. I think it's good that Fred is now willing to share more details. He says that it's been around since 1947: can you give us more information?

Last edited by Craig Gottlieb; 08/14/2011 05:11 PM.

Craig Gottlieb
www.cgmauctions.com
Very nice dagger Fred!!!!

DAMAST #250306 08/14/2011 09:25 PM
Frederic,

What an amazing dagger!
This must be THE NSKK Marine High leader Dagger!?!

Simply incredible to see.
The first images did not do the piece justice. This is essentially a "prototype in the flesh", which is the peak of excitement in the hobby for me.

I do not see the troubles that some have raised. I am afraid that past (interpersonal) history may be leveraging exaggerated criticism which this piece does not warrant.

This is a one-of-a-kind dagger, and therefore it exhibits one-of-a-kind characteristics (including finish and details). In these cases we must rely upon providence, and shared characteristics.

The grip, and overall design are characteristic of the other known NSKK High Leader piece. The gold/copper wash matches what we see on original NSKK Marine leader pieces. The maker mark is correct. The scabbard is correct. The grip is correct.

The fact that this dagger is in the hands of Mr. Stevens is even further substantiation of its originality (IMO).
I have seen Mr. Stevens protest against "high-end daggers" which were generally accepted but exhibited perhaps critical flaws.

Personally, I like to buy daggers from the most critical, experienced, and detail oriented people possible. At the top of this heap is Mr. Stephens.

To Mr. Stephens: I love your book, it got me into this hobby, I hope to see an update, and all the best!

If I had the funds, I would BUY THIS DAGGER!

A truly unparalleled gem!

Congratulations to the buyer (I wish I were you!).

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny V.; 08/14/2011 09:45 PM.

Silver Badge #0398

My Avatar = My dagger security system! wink
Online Content
I want to thank the many guys who have emailed me to point out a debate (if that is a reasonable term for it) on another forum.

I would really like to know more about Fred's dagger, but I would not blame him a bit if he posted nothing at all, given the circumstances. frown

Dave

Dave #250350 08/15/2011 09:30 AM
F
F
You are correct Dave. I am displeased at my treatment and the belated censorship, and the excuses given for it, which has been meeted out. There will be no more information offered about the dagger. It is over.

Frederick J. Stephens

S
S
gottlieb writes:

"Someone obviously wanted entertainment here on GDC, and they won't get it"

"What they should get (as should we all) is healthy debate about this unique and interesting dagger"

"want a lot of things explained before I gave it my endorsement"

"I think it's good that Fred is now willing to share more details"

What I want to say here would only get me banned from this site,FOR LIFE...some of us would like to learn about this interesting Dagger...but I guess we will never know now!!

Sepp

Sepp #250420 08/16/2011 09:55 AM
Amen to that Sepp...

Silver Badge #0398

OP Offline
I also agree with Sepp. Some of us truly WOULD like to learn about this dagger ... what the history is, why we should overlook the weird pommel design, among other things. Dave: if there's another thread out there on another forum where Fred is willing to discuss the dagger, please let us know where it is. It's a shame that the discussion here could not even get off the ground.

Last edited by Craig Gottlieb; 08/16/2011 02:15 PM.

Craig Gottlieb
www.cgmauctions.com
M
M
As was said by others, someone was probably looking for some entertainment and didn't get it here. UNFORTUNATELY, we all suffer. I don't blame Mr. Stephens for being fed up but now "we" don't getto learn about an obvious rare dagger. I THANK all who have been responsible and posted their honest opinions and experiences. I continue to learn (and at 61 thats not aleays an easy thing to do). Thanks again. Respectfully, Mark
PS-Mr Stephens, I hope you wil re-consider.

S
S
after reading all of the posts on this thread I feel that it is relatively easy for anyone that has been a member here for some time to figure out what is going on. It is "unfortunate" regards, Ryan

OP Offline
I don't really see what Fred is afraid of. Rumors are already circulating in the private email space, and this is a chance for you to clear up the red flags and tell your side of the story. Dave has already said he'd monitor this thread carefully, and keep it about the dagger only. He's threatened a 2 week suspension for anybody who crosses the line.

Last edited by Craig Gottlieb; 08/17/2011 02:27 AM.

Craig Gottlieb
www.cgmauctions.com
Online Content
With a come-on like the one above, I can see why Fred is ignoring us. I would too, in his position.

Dave

Dave #250479 08/17/2011 02:54 PM
S
S
He will NEVER learn...

Sepp

Sepp #250480 08/17/2011 03:06 PM
The Man is a Sad case indeed!!! crazy

Mac 66 #250484 08/17/2011 04:03 PM
S
S
Ego.
He took a pounding on WAF and trying to re establish
credibility.
Fred will reply IF and when he feels like it.Not before and not in response to baiting or innuendo.IMO.
Seiler

Seiler #250504 08/18/2011 12:31 AM
Online Content
I agree Seiler,, You cant reestablish credibility when one person with an agenda has to goad and drag everyone else into an arena because they need an audience. A Bull in a China shop has more tact and would be a better Chess player, in calculating his moves, than the above mentioned.
Sometimes certain lines should not be crossed no matter who the individual, out of respect and regard. I see enough of this type of crap outside, with very young people trying to gain attention and ending up with a black eye...physically and emotionally. Knowledge is everything on this forum and the hobby. I enjoy all of those who I have been in contact with since I joined the GDC and I would never trade my friendship or the trust, that I have earned all for some photos.
Mr Stephens will speak up when he is ready as we all will when we are ready to post or chat about a certain topic or item. No one person has to be arm twisted into doing anything if they dont want to .
Those who have an agenda like car salesmen thrive on getting you to say yes for their pocket or selfish gain. When someone wants something and you say "NO" the pounding doesnt stop except when you say yes,,,always in this life never the other way around. Trust is worth more than any valuable. Larry

Last edited by Siegfried B; 08/18/2011 12:34 AM.

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
Online Content
You guys are 100% correct..

Dave

A
A
Originally Posted By: Craig Gottlieb
I don't really see what Fred is afraid of. Rumors are already circulating in the private email space, and this is a chance for you to clear up the red flags and tell your side of the story. Dave has already said he'd monitor this thread carefully, and keep it about the dagger only. He's threatened a 2 week suspension for anybody who crosses the line.

There have been more than rumors circulating through " private email space " with regards to certain behavior. The players know the game and no one is going to fool anyone by marketing through controversy. You should take your ball and bat and find someone that wants to play with you, I do not think you will find many without you paying them of course. Good luck with that.

Last edited by ajax; 08/18/2011 06:49 AM.
ajax #250528 08/18/2011 02:03 PM
S
S
I sure would like to Hear the story of this dagger...But I'm pretty sure we won't hear from Fred again on this subject!

Sepp

Sepp #250576 08/19/2011 09:21 AM
J
J
As the saying goes , buy the item , Not the story.

jeff #250955 08/26/2011 03:40 AM
OP Offline
Agreed, I feel that Fred will not tell the full story, nor provide an explanation of the red-flags. As I said initially, I tend to believe in this piece, but wanted lots of questions answered. Unfortunately, the lack of attention to the matter, which could have been handled under the watchful eye of Dave (for COC violations) speaks volumes to me.

Craig Gottlieb
www.cgmauctions.com
S
S
Here we go again....Did you not read the post on pages 6 and 7??? My God man,you keep typing "Agreed,Agreed,Agreed" with the different post...people are trying...never mind,I won't speak for others...What I was trying nicely to say to you is...

Fred WON'T POST ANYMORE REMARKS,because I believe he is sick of you bending his arm,and breaking his stones about this dagger
and other daggers. Not sure what the problem is between you guys (Well I think I know)why can't you leave your problems with Fred at the darn door? I can say this with all honesty..."I have never read a post, where Fred was ever disrespectful towards you,unless you jumped on him first" You being the founder of this web site should know better.

In case you missed this on your re reads of the past post's Fred wrote: "I have nothing further to say about the piece."

Understand now, Leatherneck???

PS: I for one DON'T feel that this post should have needed the "Watchful Eye of Dave" because he had to "Speaks Volumes to me"

Sepp

A Marine before you were a gleam, in your Dads eye.

Sepp #250974 08/26/2011 03:46 PM
Online Content
Sepp,

I agree, but tone it down please.

Dave

Dave #250990 08/26/2011 11:12 PM
Heh heh…
Sepp, again, you took the words right our of my mouth...
Going to the MAX? It would be good to meet over a beer.

I was ACHING to write a response, but I could not formulate one in a way which would not cause me to be banned from this site (and perhaps a dozen others by mere association) for LIFE!

wink

All the best to YOU,
Johnny

Silver Badge #0398

R
R
Yes, a totally TEXTbook dagger, and for a very good price also! laugh

Robyn #251051 08/28/2011 02:41 PM
Online Content
Rob,

In which textbook or reference book is that dagger shown ?

Or, where is it being offered for sale ?

Dave

Dave #252302 09/27/2011 02:55 PM
R
R
Originally Posted By: Dave Hohaus
Rob,

In which textbook or reference book is that dagger shown ?

Or, where is it being offered for sale ?

Dave

I was being sarcastic Dave, to my knowledge this "prototype"is not shown in any book.
I heard a price on it from about 100000 GBP, I am sure that everybody here also knows this.

What really concerns me, is that a dagger like this gets a thumbs up from many people here, and I am afraid that this has more to do with the liking the person that owns it.
I also like FJS, but I really believe that this dagger has MAJOR problems.
This has more to do with Forum Politics then discussing a dagger.

And I also believe that if this dagger was posted by me, then it would have not stand a chance. IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,903 SS Bayonets
1,762,174 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,147 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
Frog question.
by Dutchman - 04/19/2024 01:46 PM
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/19/2024 06:59 AM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/18/2024 08:33 PM
Study and learning materials
by Stephen - 04/18/2024 07:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,036
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
12 members (Dean Perdue, derjager, Stephen, Jonesy, Ric Ferrari, Vern, Don Scowen, Dave, stingray, Aaron Buck, Larry C, Documentalist), 584 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod