Tranlsate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#267205 - 07/04/12 02:55 PM Re: Pack No 11 Neutral [Re: JohnZ]
JohnZ Offline

Loc: Calgary
The third one pictured is the pattern #11, Neutral, for all branches, but this one allows for the addition of a unit dedication into the obverse etch design... so there is no reverse etch on these. This one is dedicated to a Recon Unit 4. And, it has stag grips. The combination of short blade and stag grips makes this item pretty unique just by itself, but the the scarce dedication to a recon unit made it a must buy. The blade has no maker mark, but is obviously by Pack, as you can see.

John

Attachments
Obverse.JPG (123 downloads)
Reverse.JPG (123 downloads)
Obverse Grip.JPG (123 downloads)
Reverse Grip.JPG (123 downloads)
Obverse Etch.JPG (122 downloads)
Obverse Etch Front.JPG (121 downloads)
Obverse Etch Mid.JPG (121 downloads)
Obverse Etch Rear.JPG (121 downloads)

#267206 - 07/04/12 02:58 PM Re: Pack Oval Bugler [Re: JohnZ]
JohnZ Offline

Over the years, I have owned 3 other copies of the Pack Oval Bugler etch. The Oval etches by Pack are the most beautiful and the most difficult to find etches by this firm (I exclude the ever elusive No 9 small Panzer, of course). All three have been on long blades and two had the added enhancement of bluing. Right now, the one in my collection is a long bladed, blued and stag gripped copy of this great etch. When Stingray offered me this version, I balked until I realized that it was a stag grip, but on a short blade. I have all of the Oval patterns made by Pack, but this is the very first short bladed one.

As I said earlier, the hunt never ends.

John

Attachments
Obverse.JPG (119 downloads)
Reverse.JPG (118 downloads)
Obverse Grip.JPG (118 downloads)
TM.JPG (116 downloads)
Obverse Etch.JPG (117 downloads)
Obverse Etch front.JPG (117 downloads)
Obverse Etch Rear.JPG (117 downloads)
The Two Obverse.JPG (118 downloads)
The Two Obverse Etch.JPG (117 downloads)
The Two Buglers.JPG (118 downloads)

#312328 - 10/19/15 03:42 PM Re: Pack No 11 Neutral with Horster Bookend [Re: JohnZ]
JohnZ Offline

I recently received an e-mail from Ivan (Stingray) asking me if I have this pattern NO 11 Neutral on a Pioniere hilted bayonet. My quick response was that I already had a No 11 with a Pi hilt (dedicated to Machine Gun Battalion 9 to boot) so I wasn`t looking for another to a simple Infantry regiment.

He told me to look again since the etch differed from the typical Pack No 11 etch you see in Wayne`s book on pages 149-150. So, I looked again, and sure enough, it is a different etch pattern. More on that later, but here it is.

Not in great shape at all, but the etch and the Pioniere hilt make it a worthwhile addition to the JohnZ wall.

Attachments
Obverse.JPG (75 downloads)
Reverse.JPG (75 downloads)
Obverse Grip.JPG (74 downloads)
Reverse Grip.JPG (75 downloads)
TM.JPG (73 downloads)
Obverse Blade.JPG (74 downloads)
Etch Front.JPG (73 downloads)
Etch Mid2.JPG (74 downloads)
Etch rear.JPG (75 downloads)

#312329 - 10/19/15 03:50 PM Re: Pack No 11 Neutral with Horster Bookend [Re: JohnZ]
JohnZ Offline

There is an etch pattern shown on page 135 of Wayne`s book that is on a Horster marked bayonet and looks a lot like the Pack No 11 Neutral etch. But, there are several differences. I have this etch pattern on an unmarked blade and dedicated to Gebirg Jager Regt 99.

The etch that I just received and that I show above is another version of this Horster pattern etch, but it is on a Pack marked blade.

This makes me think that Pack was the maker for both the Horster and the unmarked etches. It also makes me believe that Horster bought their etches from both Holler and from Pack, as you can see on Page 125.

Here are pictures of the three etches, from top to bottom, they are:

-unmarked blade, Horster etch as seen on page 135, Geb Jager 99
- Pack marked blade, Horster etch variation, IR 3
- Pack marked blade, No 11 etch MG Batt. 9

Note that the Pack No 11 etch is a short etch even though it is on the same long blade as the other two.

As Rowan and Martin`s Laugh In says, `Very Interesting`.

John

Attachments
Three Grips.JPG (73 downloads)
Three Etch Front.JPG (73 downloads)
Three Etch Mid.JPG (72 downloads)
Three Etches.JPG (72 downloads)
Three Etches paint.jpg (72 downloads)

#333937 - 12/10/17 04:48 PM Re: Pack No 11 Neutral with Horster Bookend [Re: JohnZ]
DARREN W Offline

Loc: The Red Rose County,England
A little late to the show here but what a magnificent,superlative collection of E Packs you have John...thank you for sharing these beauties!

In my humble opinion the best Etch producer of them all and my personal favourite being the number 12 Mountaineering example...how rare is that!

Just great to see.

#333938 - 12/10/17 07:33 PM Re: Pack No 11 Neutral with Horster Bookend [Re: DARREN W]
JohnZ Offline

Thanks, Darren.

I like the No 12 Mountain Troop etch as well, although I also like their various Ovals.

But, frankly, my first love is Eickhorn.

John

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7