Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
R
My book arrived this way exactly. The tear was not made by me.

100_4671.JPG (96.75 KB, 276 downloads)
R
R
Oh, and by the way the atlas that I just showed is considered the best anatomy atlas available and costs only $50.

Please, a few things you must understand..How many atlases do they print at a time?? were are they printed (country china)???? I know what printing costs are here in the states for a (short run) hardbound book.You can get quotes on line with book manufactures , and I'm sure you will be surprised. Sounds like $50.00 is a heck of a deal on your book knowing what my son and Daughter,in collage pay for there new and used books,not to mention my wife is finishing another Doctorate degree.(she teaches nursing at a private collage) The book seems like it was packed well. For sure a shipping problem... No insults here, it seems you are unhappy with the price of the book . Regards: James

R
R
Hi James. The money is not an issue. If it were an issue I would not have paid for the book in the first place. The issue for me is just the construction of the book. Its the same as if you go to Frank's stake house in New York and they serve you a big mac. Razz

L
L
Apologists not withstanding, the fact is the book is constructed in a cheap manner....compared to other books that I have!
This book is not the only "landscape" format book that I have and I note that ONLY this book has a cover/covers that are skewed in a "banana" profile. Though my copy is not as severe as that pictured, it is nonetheless NOT RIGHT!
I have a Reader's Digest book on how to repair stuff around the house which is at least 20 yrs old and it exibits no such cover buckling. I have "Titanic, an Illustrated History" with thin boards and it too is not buckled either.
The simple fact is this book is constructed cheaply and I advise, once again, that if you have been lucky enough to have not bought this book yet...well DON'T!
I will NOT buy any subsequent books produced by this seller!

quote:
Originally posted by lloyd:
Apologists not withstanding, the fact is the book is constructed in a cheap manner....compared to other books that I have!
This book is not the only "landscape" format book that I have and I note that ONLY this book has a cover/covers that are skewed in a "banana" profile. Though my copy is not as severe as that pictured, it is nonetheless NOT RIGHT!
I have a Reader's Digest book on how to repair stuff around the house which is at least 20 yrs old and it exibits no such cover buckling. I have "Titanic, an Illustrated History" with thin boards and it too is not buckled either.
The simple fact is this book is constructed cheaply and I advise, once again, that if you have been lucky enough to have not bought this book yet...well DON'T!
I will NOT buy any subsequent books produced by this seller!

Sell it on E bay then..and you are finished with the case for ever Wink

Sell it on ebay,then u are realy done with it

Regards
Carlos1
L
L
How would YOU like to buy it Carlos? BTW, I don't sell on eBay...only Amazon.com!
Let me know, it's available!

LLoyd.I HAVE the German and English version WinkThe english is a little bendt up,but i don`t COMPLAIN,do i?????????

Regards
Carlos1
It is really funny reading this gossip (like a bunch old ladies or something)Not to offense anybody. I personally do not collect SA daggers but still interested in getting one copy for myself. The point i am trying to make is: from reading all the posts i can assume that this book is very informative and one of a kind as most collectors were looking for a good complete SA book. Now we coming to a point where such things as construction, paper quality and so forth brings the so informative book to the point of (No Buy). LOL

ALWAYS BUYING ITALIAN/ FASCIST MILITARIA > AND SOVIET DAGGERS
quote:
Originally posted by Aleksandr:
It is really funny reading this gossip (like a bunch old ladies or something)Not to offense anybody. I personally do not collect SA daggers but still interested in getting one copy for myself. The point i am trying to make is: from reading all the posts i can assume that this book is very informative and one of a kind as most collectors were looking for a good complete SA book. Now we coming to a point where such things as construction, paper quality and so forth brings the so informative book to the point of (No Buy). LOL

Im so agree with you

Aleksandr:You can buy the book,it is a great book

Regards
Carlos1
L
L
quote:

The main thing is the book is NOT "complete" by any means. IF it weren't copywritten, I would quote text here for you to see exactly what I mean. What SHOULD be "complete" is NOT. The hype in the ad for the book made it seem that the book was/is in fact "complete" but again, it is NOT! One would "assume" that text regarding parts, specific daggers such as Feldherrnhalle, etc would be all inclusive but NOT! One would "assume" that pictures showing chained NSKK would advise as to the FACT that the holes for the connecting rings are such in such shape to be ORIGINAL, but again, NOT!
This book is in NO way, shape or fashion "COMPLETE"! YES, there IS "new" information indeed but again, compared to a TW book or a TJ book, this book, forgetting the slip shod workmanship, is a disgrace!

I would personally appreciate any kind of work done regarding the hobby we are in. To me to write a book even like this (NOT COMPLETE) is like to go to the moon- almost.

ALWAYS BUYING ITALIAN/ FASCIST MILITARIA > AND SOVIET DAGGERS
L
L
quote:
I would personally appreciate any kind of work done regarding the hobby we are in. To me to write a book even like this (NOT COMPLETE) is like to go to the moon- almost.

Aleksandr, this we CAN agree on but I don't have the access to all those blades that some have, AND the research needed either.
Thanks for your understanding BTW! You know, perhaps I and some others are "spoiled" having read/owned/own books by TW, TJ, Angolia and yes, even Atwood! I have NO idea as to what books are available in Europe but I would guess the same as here though. I will be happy to have TW's SA book when it comes out, whenever that is? If you don't have any of Tom's books, I would recommend them very highly. I do NOT know TW or TJ but I love their books.

Hello together,

i`m a little astonished. I sold 500 books and got no complaint. No complaint on contents of the book and no complaint concerning the quality.

Greeting Ralf

My homepage:
www.dienstdolch.de
R
R
Dont worry about negative comments Ralf. its a great book , when people Retire from the workplace, they always look for things to complain about!

Indeed, very nice book, I have both - German and English. I'm looking forward to next your book.

Lukas.

L
L
quote:
Originally posted by ROB B:
Dont worry about negative comments Ralf. its a great book , when people Retire from the workplace, they always look for things to complain about!

Sorry to disillusion you Rob but I have been retired from the workplace for over 16 yrs! During that time frame, I have received as gifts, all of TW's great books and found nothing "to compalin about" with them.

The book is not quality and I still say, if you haven't bought one, you might want to think long and hard about NOT buying it!

I will note, with NO attempt to belittle ANYONE, that most of the positive comments on the English edition seem to be made by persons that don't speak English as a first language and thus possibly aren't fully aware of the terrible translation. IF I spoke/read another language, it would be the same for me I am sure!

I
I
I have bought the printed German version of Ralf´s book for 59 Euro, which is approx. $85 (including shipping fees) and in my opinion the price performance ratio of this hardcover is excellent. I´ve spent in the past years several ten thousands dollars for SA daggers and related stuff and this book is a great source of information, which is very informative, helps to build up a collection and helps to avoid bad bargains. I have Tom Johnson´s dagger books as well and I´m not aware that - besides these 2 authors - more and/or better books on SA daggers do exist (or am I missing something?).

Alltogether, Ralf did a fantastic job and I congratulate him for doing this work and publishing the German version of his book! In my job I´m dealing from time to time with authors and book publishing. I think I can assess how much work it is to write and publish such a book and how much effort is behind these pages, which are later on read so easy. I also know how much it costs to take professional high-resolution pictures and/or photos of the items. For an "non-professional book publisher" like Ralf it was simply impossible. He had to ask other SA dagger collectors to send him photos of their daggers, since most of the times he was not able to meet them personally and to make photos of the illustrated daggers by himself. Therefore he had to rely on receiving best possible digital files of the items. And I think all in all most of the photos in Ralf´s book have an acceptable quality. Therefore a big congrats to Ralf!

Now to the English version. According to my information Ralf sold the rights to publish his book in English to someone. Obviously Ralf closed the contract without taking care that he as the author should keep the final rights for review and approval of the English version. He just sold the rights and did not think of this quite important clause in the contract and/or the deal. And obviously the buyer of the rights did not do the best job regarding translation. Additionally IMO the buyer of the rights priced it quite high.

I must admit I didn´t buy the English version (since I have already the German one and the price is in my opinion too high). Thus I can´t rate the English version.

However, I think one should keep in mind that Ralf should not be blamed for the Englih version. According to my information he more or less trusted the buyer to do the same good job in publishing the English version like he did on the German version. Obviously that was not the case. So I think it´s not fair to bash Ralf and his book in general. The one and only who should be blamed is then the buyer of the rights, since he did the bad job.

And one final thing to those who still continue to bash Ralf and his book ... I´m looking forward to seeing your book on SA daggers in the future. Bashing is easy, doing it better sometimes not Wink

R
R
Lloyd no offence mate , my comment about retirement was tongue in cheek i assure you .The fact of the matter is that collectors have been waiting far too long for TW sa book .Ralfs book fills the void , An as i have said before , it has answered a lot of my questions . Cheers Rob !

L
L
quote:
Originally posted by ivbaust:
I have bought the printed German version of Ralf´s book for 59 Euro, which is approx. $85 (including shipping fees) and in my opinion the price performance ratio of this hardcover is excellent. I´ve spent in the past years several ten thousands dollars for SA daggers and related stuff and this book is a great source of information, which is very informative, helps to build up a collection and helps to avoid bad bargains. I have Tom Johnson´s dagger books as well and I´m not aware that - besides these 2 authors - more and/or better books on SA daggers do exist (or am I missing something?).

Alltogether, Ralf did a fantastic job and I congratulate him for doing this work and publishing the German version of his book! In my job I´m dealing from time to time with authors and book publishing. I think I can assess how much work it is to write and publish such a book and how much effort is behind these pages, which are later on read so easy. I also know how much it costs to take professional high-resolution pictures and/or photos of the items. For an "non-professional book publisher" like Ralf it was simply impossible. He had to ask other SA dagger collectors to send him photos of their daggers, since most of the times he was not able to meet them personally and to make photos of the illustrated daggers by himself. Therefore he had to rely on receiving best possible digital files of the items. And I think all in all most of the photos in Ralf´s book have an acceptable quality. Therefore a big congrats to Ralf!

Now to the English version. According to my information Ralf sold the rights to publish his book in English to someone. Obviously Ralf closed the contract without taking care that he as the author should keep the final rights for review and approval of the English version. He just sold the rights and did not think of this quite important clause in the contract and/or the deal. And obviously the buyer of the rights did not do the best job regarding translation. Additionally IMO the buyer of the rights priced it quite high.

I must admit I didn´t buy the English version (since I have already the German one and the price is in my opinion too high). Thus I can´t rate the English version.

However, I think one should keep in mind that Ralf should not be blamed for the Englih version. According to my information he more or less trusted the buyer to do the same good job in publishing the English version like he did on the German version. Obviously that was not the case. So I think it´s not fair to bash Ralf and his book in general. The one and only who should be blamed is then the buyer of the rights, since he did the bad job.

And one final thing to those who still continue to bash Ralf and his book ... I´m looking forward to seeing your book on SA daggers in the future. Bashing is easy, doing it better sometimes not Wink

I just re-read each and every post in this thread and was unable to come up with a SINGLE instance of ANYONE "bashing" Ralf. Can you pls copy and paste the instances that you have been able to find? I noted the following from Ralf:

"Posted 14 May 2009 4:46 Hide Post
Hello collector friends,
the book is sold off, please dont send money on my paypal.

Now i search for an american partner who translate and print the book in the States.

regards Ralf

My homepage:
www.dienstdolch.de"

It is indeed unfortunate that Ralf did not find an American partner for this book as the translation probably would have been much better!

For Ralf and/or whoever is going to publish the SS book in English, my wife is proof reader and and could help with that book. Happy to accept email regarding same!

R
R
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz Cool

quote:

Lloyd no offence mate , my comment about retirement was tongue in cheek i assure you .The fact of the matter is that collectors have been waiting far too long for TW sa book.Ralfs book fills the void

I agree with Rob,it does fill in the void and (I will quote my own words), from Jan 15th when I said "So the 2 should work well together, as an overall reference on the subject". end quote What one lacks the other will pick up on. Not one of us out here has "Just one reference book" A diamond is multi faceted and shows many different views of light. So are more than one reference book. I am hopeful that Ralf does get an American printer I would like to have one of his SA books,, or even pick one up used somewhere.I would even take your book if you did not want it!! The info is the same no matter what the condition. Crap happens sometimes but it is unfortunate that it fell on you Lloyd. If it wasnt you then someone else. No one is immune to disappointments. I hope that you can get past this soon! I mean that in a positive sense with no disrespect intended. Dont let what had happened embitter you so that it takes your focus of of the hobby. No knowledge was gained in this hobby about the collecting field in these last few pages of this thread. I hope we can move on from this. Best Regards to all involved Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!
L
L
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried B:
quote:

Lloyd no offence mate , my comment about retirement was tongue in cheek i assure you .The fact of the matter is that collectors have been waiting far too long for TW sa book.Ralfs book fills the void

I agree with Rob,it does fill in the void and (I will quote my own words), from Jan 15th when I said "So the 2 should work well together, as an overall reference on the subject". end quote What one lacks the other will pick up on. Not one of us out here has "Just one reference book" A diamond is multi faceted and shows many different views of light. So are more than one reference book. I am hopeful that Ralf does get an American printer I would like to have one of his SA books,, or even pick one up used somewhere.I would even take your book if you did not want it!! The info is the same no matter what the condition. Crap happens sometimes but it is unfortunate that it fell on you Lloyd. If it wasnt you then someone else. No one is immune to disappointments. I hope that you can get past this soon! I mean that in a positive sense with no disrespect intended. Dont let what had happened embitter you so that it takes your focus of of the hobby. No knowledge was gained in this hobby about the collecting field in these last few pages of this thread. I hope we can move on from this. Best Regards to all involved Larry

Email sent!

Hi Guys,

I have the german version of this book and think it is an excellent and interesting reference. Thanks Ralf.

Steve

Gentlemen , I too had just received Ralfs SA book.( English Version) I am very pleased with the content.
Thanks Ralf for your compilation of information and dissection of the SA/NSKK subject.
It brings understanding of information,, I myself have not yet seen.
Best Regards Larry

L
L
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried B:
Gentlemen , I too had just received Ralfs SA book.( English Version) I am very pleased with the content.
Thanks Ralf for your compilation of information and dissection of the SA/NSKK subject.
It brings understanding of information,, I myself have not yet seen.
Best Regards Larry

Ah yes, a real dearth of information there indeed!

R
R
oh dear here we go again !

Big Grin LOL

Just received my book this weekend!

Great book and many thanks to Mr. Siegret for his contribution to this wonderful hobby of dagger collecting!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,756 SS Bayonets
1,762,629 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,643 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Latest New Posts
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 04/24/2024 07:31 PM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:28 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by benten - 04/23/2024 12:49 PM
HR on Ratisbons auction
by Stephen - 04/23/2024 10:02 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,053
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (polop, Mikee, A. Martin, The_Collector, Don Scowen), 881 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod