Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Dienstlatersliste der Schutzstaffel der NSDAP
(Service List of the Protection Staff of the NSDAP)

Many Third Reich collectors are familiar with the existence of the Dienstalterslistes (SS Officer Service Lists) or "Dienstlistes" as they are sometimes called. But not many know what they are and what information they do and do not contain. I will endeavour to shed some light on this sometimes mysterious subject. I would just like to say that I am not an expert on the SS as I have but scratched the surface of this most complex organisation. And there are no doubt many readers who could add a wealth of information about the SS and the Dienstalterslistes to this article.

What are the Dienstalterslistes?

Simply put, the Dienstalterslistes contain the names of officers who were full time members of the SS to include the Allgemeine-SS (General SS), Sicherheitsdienst or SD (SS Security Service), SS-Verfügunstruppe
(Special Purpose Troops), SS-Totenkopfstandarte (Death's Head Regiments), SS-Totenkopfverbände
(Concentration Camp Staff) and, after the war started, the Waffen-SS (Armed SS). Although the German Police came under the control of the SS in 1936, a Police officer would not be listed unless he was also a full time member of the SS.

The first list was produced in October 1934 and contained the names of all 3,238 officers in the SS at that time from SS-Sturmführer (2nd Lieutenant - later renamed to SS-Untersturmführer) up to and including
Reichsführer-SS. The last one (to my knowledge) was produced in November 1944 and contained the names of officers from the ranks of SS-Standartenführer (Colonel) up to and including Reichsführer-SS.

To my knowledge, no lists were produced in 1939, 1940 and 1945; these are the Dienstalterslistes that I am aware of:

1934: October
 1935: July
 1936: December
 1937: December
 1938: December
 1941: January, April
 1942: January, April, October
 1943: January, April, October
 1944: January, April, July, October, November

What information do they contain?

The information contained on each officer varies in each list but includes the following:

name
 rank
 unit(s) and/or command(s)
 date of birth
 promotion date(s)
 SS number
 NSDAP number
 specific political awards
 specific military awards
 specific political and para-military  appointments
 SS officer school attended (Braunschweig or Bad Tölz)
 year graduated from the SS officer school
 commission rank and branch of service

The lists are in rank order starting with the highest down to the lowest. Within rank, the officers are listed in the order they joined the SS. The lowest rank contained in each list depends on when the list was produced. For example, all pre-war lists from 1934 to 1938 contain officers of all ranks at the time the list was produced. This makes the December 1938 list the most complete list of pre-war SS officers with a total of 14,038 officers listed. Each list (except for October 1934) contains an alphabetical index of the officers contained in it. This index points to the numerical position that the officer holds within the list.

War-time lists, however, only contain the ranks of either SS-Sturmbannführer (Major) to SS-Obersturmbannführer (Lt. Colonel) or SS-Standartenführer (Colonel) to Reichsführer-SS. The sole exception to this is the Dienstaltersliste der Waffen-SS of July 1944 which contains the ranks of SS-Hauptsturmführer (Captain) up to Reichsführer-SS. Although this list holds more officer names (4,672) than any other war time list, it contains the least amount of information with only name, rank, date of birth, last promotion date and occasionally unit or command included.

To my knowledge, the Dienstalterslistes are limited to German officers and do not contain the names of "Foreign Volunteers". I seem to recall in correspondence with Hugh Page Taylor (author of Uniforms, History and Organization of the Waffen-SS) he mentioned the existence of a separate Dienstaltersliste of Italian officers but I'm not positive.

The pre-war lists contain all promotion dates up to the time the list was produced whereas war time lists only contain the promotion date to the current rank. I can only assume that the needs of the war superceeded detailed lists on an ever increasing number of SS officers. New recruits, transfers between units and officers killed, wounded or captured would also increase the amount of changes and hence work required to keep the lists up to date.

What awards do they show?

Political awards:

Golden Party Badge
 Coburg Badge
 Blood Order
 SS Totenkopf Honour Ring
 SS Officer's Sword
 SA Sports Badge
 Reichs Sports Badge

Military awards:

WW1 Combat:
 Pour le Merite
 Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class
 Wound Badges (all grades)
 Honour Cross for Frontline Soldiers (a Third Reich award for WW1 service)

WW2 Combat:
 Knight's Cross (all grades)
 Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class
 German Cross in Gold
 Wound Badges (all grades)

Note: An all-encompassing category of "Im Felde erworbene Landesorden" (field awards) denotes the different war badges that were awarded in WW1 and WW2. For example, Infantry Assault, Tank Asaault, etc.

WW2 War Effort:
 German Cross in Silver
 Knight's Cross of the War Merit Cross with and Without Swords
 War Merit Cross with and Without Swords

Political and Para-military appointments:
 Member of the Reichstag
 Higher SS and Police Leader
 SS and Police Leader
 Police President

Among other things, the Dienstalterslistes do not contain the following information:
 dates that awards were earned or given
 place of birth
 date of death
 place of death
 address

If a member of the Allgemeine-SS had a commission in the Waffen-SS or other branch of the Wehrmacht, the branch of service and rank held in that commission are shown. Financial contributors to Lebensborn are also acknowledged.

What can we infer from this? Well, the inclusion of WW1 awards tells us that WW1 service was highly regarded by the Nazi leadership and that the Coburg Badge was held in equal esteem to the Golden Party Badge and Blood Order. It also appears that awards for contributions to the war effort such as the War Merit Cross were attributed more importance than combat awards such as the Close Combat Clasp, tank destruction strip and Anti-partisan War Badge which were much more difficult to acquire; these were lumped in with the "field awards" category. It also tells us that financial contributors to Lebensborn were more appreciated than were "Old Fighters" who have no recognition whatsoever (except perhaps the award of the Golden Party Badge). And, strangely, although the SA and Reichs Sports Badges are included, neither the NSDAP nor SS long service awards are shown. As a side note, about 10% of the almost 20,000 officers in my data base were Golden Party Badge holders. (Note that any conclusions made here are my own.)

How can the Dienstalterslistes be used?

With the name of an officer from a helmet, tunic, hat, etc., the Dienstalterslistes can be an excellent source of information to produce a short history of that officer's career in the SS. Obviously, the more times he is listed and the higher his rank, the more information can be obtained. In addition to the Dienstalterslistes, other sources such as the internet and reference books can be used to add to the level of detail, again, based on details such as his rank, awards, command(s) and how famous (or infamous) he was.

One of the hardest named artifacts to trace is the SS Honour Ring because original rings only contain the recipient's last name. Many times people have sent me a last name with a first name or initial from inside a ring and I have had to tell them that their rings were not original. If the name inside the ring is an unusual one and not frequently seen, one can be reasonably certain of the original owner if the name is found in a Dienstaltersliste and the award date on the inside of the ring coincides with the date that the award is shown on the list. Note that the Dienstalterslistes do not show the exact date of award but will reflect awards of the ring made prior to the publication date of the list.

For example, let's take a hypothetical situation of a ring with a recipient's name of "Schicklegruber" and an award date of "30.4.38". We find Adolf Schicklegruber in the December 1937 Dienstaltersliste and he is not shown as having the ring at that time. However the December 1938 list shows him as having the ring and he is the only Schicklegruber listed. We can reasonably assume that this is the owner of the ring. But we can never be 100% certain unless other provenance exists.

If, on the other hand, the name is a common one such as "Schmidt" or "Meyer", forget it. I once found 13 officers with the same last name, 7 of whom had been awarded the ring.

Old Fighters:

One question that puzzled me for a long time was why so many early members of the SS (indicated by a low SS number - usually 4 digits), do not appear in any lists after 1938 which only contain the ranks of Major and above. I thought about this for a long time and concluded that most of these early members were probably ex-WW1 veterans and Freikorps members who may have had a hard time adjusting to civilian life. They were literally the "Old Fighters" of the early days that did battle with the communists on the streets of Weimar Germany and provided Hitler with the physical protection he needed in those turbulent times. Many had become hardened after years in the trenches and were perfect for the role of "protection squads" which ultimately gave birth to the SS. Unlike the Army, the SS was "classless" and although many of these men became low ranking officers, most did not progress beyond the rank of Lieutenant, hence they would not appear on any war time lists. Another reason is that many of these men were born in the 1890s. This would make them over 40 by the time the war started and relegated to Reserve Units only being thrown into the fray at the end of the war. Again, these are my own conclusions.

Caveat Emptor!

At this point, it's worth mentioning that the presence or absence of an SS officer's name or number in the Dienstalterslistes does not prove or disprove the originality of an item that contains it. Some unscrupulous
individuals have used names and/or numbers from the Dienstalterslistes to embellish and hence increase the value of both reproduction and original artifacts. Conversely, the name and/or number of an officer might not be found in the Dienstalterslistes even though the item is completely original. And some forgers use completely fictitious names
and numbers.

I am therefore always on the lookout for scam artists. Here are a few examples of bogus items that I have uncovered:

One guy claimed to have the SS Totenkopf Honour Ring belonging to THE Karl Wolff and wanted me to send him my research findings on Wolff. Right away, I was suspiscious as I knew this would be a significant piece of history. So I contacted my good friend Don Boyle and asked him if he knew when THE Karl Wolff was awarded the ring and if the whereabouts of the ring was known. Don gave me the date and also told me that he knew the whereabouts of the ring. I then told this individual that the date in his ring was not the date that THE Karl Wolff had been awarded his ring. I never heard from him again.

Someone who was known to add embellishments to artifacts sent me the number on a chained SS dagger he had. Right away, I was suspiscious. When I looked it up, I found (not to my great surprise) that the number belonged to
SS-Gruppenfuhrer Herman Fegelein. In a lengthy reply, I advised this individual that all may not be as it seems and I never heard from him again either.

Recently, someone sent me the name of an SS-Sturmbannfuhrer apparently from 3. SS Pz. Div. Totenkopf that was inside a peaked hat he was considering buying along with a picture of the name tag. Two things alerted me that things might not be right. First, I did not find the officer's name listed in any Dienstaltersliste. Although possible,
it's very unusual not to find such a high ranking officer. Secondly, the name tag used the abbreviation "T.K." for "Totenkopf". The actual abbreviation used by the Germans for "Totenkopf" was "T.", not "T.K.". I relayed my concerns to him and he had it checked out by a few people in the know about hats and it turned out to be bogus. He wrote back and thanked me for saving him $3000. Luckily, in this case the forger used a fictitious name and did not know the proper abbreviation for "Totenkopf". But if they would have used the name of a legitimate member of "Totenkopf" and the correct German abbreviation, I would have had no suspiscions.

And finally, like Don Boyle's Honour Ring certificates, my research letters have been used to try to authenticate bogus or embellished artifacts. A friend once confronted an unscrupulous dealer claiming his SS Totenkopf Honour Ring was original because it was accompanied by my research letter. Andy told him in no uncertain terms that his ring was bogus and that I would not knowingly research a ring that I knew or suspected was not original. So just because an artifact is accompanied by one of my research letters (or any research letter for that matter), it does not guarantee its originality.

Having said this, I have researched items that actually did belong to high ranking officers to include a few Generals, Knight's Cross winners, German Cross in Gold winners and even an infamous Concentration Camp commandant.

Sample Pages from the Dienstalterslistes

I- This is a sample page from the October 1944 SS-Dienstaltersliste. From left to right, the columns show:

Numerical order in the Dienstaltersliste
 Name (followed by WW1 and WW2 awards)
 SS TotenkopfHonour Ring/SS Sword Holder
 Unit
 NSDAP Party Number
 SS Number
 Date of Birth
 Rank
 Promotion Date to current rank.

On this particular page, of special interest are the following:

Number 3582 is a Golden Party Badge holder as his NSDAP number is below 100,000
 Number 3585 is a member of "3. SS Pz. Div. Totenkopf"
 Number 3600 is a member of "1. SS Pz. Div. LSSAH" and is a holder of the German Cross in Gold, SS Totenkopf Honour Ring and SS Officer's Sword
 Number 3605 is a member of "7. SS Frw. Geb. Div. Prinz Eugen"
 Numbers 3610/11 are members of "12. SS Pz. Div. Hitler Jugend" and holders of the SS Totenkopf Honour Ring and SS Officer's Sword.

II- This is the October 1944 SS-Dienstaltersliste Award Symbols page outlining awards and their symbols as used in the Dienstaltersliste.

III- This is the October 1944 SS-Dienstaltersliste Abbreviations page outlining the abbreviations used in the Dienstaltersliste and their meaning.

M
M
There is also a published addendum in 1939 using the numbers in the 1938 issue as a reference. Wartime issues are often out of date for assignments of Waffen-SS officers by the time they were published after compiling the data.

The June 1939 addendum to the 1938 SS-Dienstalterslistes is posted on my website along with Blood Order recipients at:

http://www.ssdaggers.com/useful_information

Enjoy!

Ross Kelbaugh
www.ssdaggers.com

"Making History Personal"- Research for Collectors by a Collector.
D
D
Originally Posted By: Ross Kelbaugh (SS-Researcher)
The June 1939 addendum to the 1938 SS-Dienstalterslistes is posted on my website along with Blood Order recipients at:

http://www.ssdaggers.com/useful_information

Enjoy!

Ross Kelbaugh
www.ssdaggers.com

Appreciated, but how do you use it w/o the 1938 DAL ?

Hi:

You can buy a hard copy of the 1938 SS-Dienstaltersliste which includes the June 1939 addendum from Helmut Weitze here:

https://www.weitze.net/detail/58/Dienstaltersliste_der_Schutzstaffel_der_NSDAP_1938__4758.html

It is a good investment.

Enjoy!

Ross Kelbaugh
www.ssdaggers.com
www.HistoricGraphics.com

"Making History Personal"- Research for Collectors by a Collector.
S
S
thank you and wish your best

L
L
Thankss You!

Ross...we'll be in touch soon. My buddy has a SS dagger which has the SS member's number on it. I'll shoot you an email in the next couple of days with all the info.

Cheers

Gerry

Die Treue ist das Mark der Ehre!
In the mean time I got myself the 1944 Dienstaltersliste... interesting document!

Die Treue ist das Mark der Ehre!
Any records for SS #3863

Thanks
Fitzer

Moderated by  Dave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,522 SS Bayonets
1,761,998 Teno Insignia Set
1,130,954 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Overslept a development???
by Luftbud - 04/16/2024 01:03 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 10:17 PM
CLAY TOBACCO PIPES
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/14/2024 06:25 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,017
Members7,516
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
16 members (Herman V. (aka Herr Mann), Nietzsche, Evgeniy, den70, Jareth Holub, Don Scowen, Jonesy, Stephen, Ric Ferrari, stingray, Dave, BretVanSant, sellick8302@rogers.com, atis, ANTIK-1933, Documentalist), 411 guests, and 105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod