Tranlsate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Page 3 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 43 44 >
Topic Options
#15490 - 10/06/09 07:12 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

Loc: USA
It seems only natural to move from Eickhorn, the maker with the lions share of fireman bayonet production, to another prolific Solingen manufacturer. WKC certainly made a tremendous amount of daggers, both Imperial & 3R but you don't see lots of WKC fire bayonets around. I only have 2 WKC examples, this one came to me last year from Tom Wittmann who had it on his site for a year or more. I used to look at it every few days & yet it stayed there. Maybe I thought I could find this variation on my own, maybe I didn't want to pay Tom's price. Either way all looking at it did was vex me more so I gave into the temptation & bought it.

Tom said he thought this mark was indicative of late war production but after seeing it in person I'd have to respectfully disagree. Just from it's appearance & parts, it really looks to be early production. Whenever the piece was actually produced, it's a short model with a WKC variation maker mark including the location "Solingen". Try as I might, I could never find one of these on a fire bayonet, or any bayonet for that matter. It has some other nice features too. For starters, a really wide crossguard, similar to the Eickhorn products. You never know, maybe Eick made it. Very unusual bakelite too, not the early type either. It's more like the type on the early Pack HJs. The blood groove is also not the wide or narrow type but a sort of in between width.

Attachments
P1130138.JPG (1464 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15491 - 10/06/09 07:16 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

This one is also a short model with the usually seen 3R era WKC mark with the embellished knight's helmet. Prewar construction but not nearly as early as the previous piece. I initially got it just to have a WKC but noticed something when it arrived home.

Upon taking it from the scabbard & bubblewrap I noticed the blade had a natural finish, sort of like a crossgraining but more pronounced. From what I've seen pieces with this type of blades aren't that common so I guess it's a keeper.

Attachments
FW_WKC.JPG (1434 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15492 - 10/06/09 07:46 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

While we're on storied old Solingen manufacturers, I find myself looking at a very special piece. Not so much special because of ultra rarity although the mark is probably pretty scarce. But special because it was this piece that started what I like to call "the sickness".

At the time I saw this piece back in the glory days of Eban, I wasn't the degenerate maker mark fiend I am now. I had maybe 4 or 5 fire bayonets, the nicest of these being the '33-'34 sawback Eick posted above. Anyway I saw this nice short model with the lovely snake & stump & decided to put in a half hearted bid which, as luck would have it, won it for me. The piece had a nice sturdy frog & I realized it was a much sought after mark, maybe the only opportunity for me to ever possess this mark. At some point shortly thereafter I got the bright idea to snag a few other obscure marks on these fire bayonets. Maybe 20 or 25 pieces later, I thought maybe I had a problem. About 100 pieces later I knew I had a problem.

This Voos mark seems to be the one most frequently seen on bayonets marked by Voos.

Attachments
FW_Voos1.JPG (1424 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15493 - 10/06/09 08:03 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

This Voos mark of stimp & snake with no name is pretty scarcely seen on anything IMO. I've only seen it on 1 or 2 Heer daggers & maybe 2 or 3 bayonets total. I got this piece from a fellow collector & fellow competitor for maker marks until he sold off his collection.

Collectors are funny & I think I'm no different. Initially I set out to find 1 mark from each maker. Then I added distributors. Then I got the bright idea to try & get every variation of each maker's logo. Silly right? This piece was one of them that got me over that final last straw of sanity to total bayonet obsession. In my defense, it's a cool mark Smile

Attachments
FW_Voos3.JPG (1408 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15494 - 10/06/09 08:09 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

This one is the 3rd variation of Emil Voos' logos that I've seen on fireman's bayonets. The mark itself is not that sexy but it finished out the set. In fact, the seller who was not a dagger & bayonet guy, didn't know what it said but I sure did.

Attachments
2.JPG (1385 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15495 - 10/06/09 08:12 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

I should confess, the real reason I was pushed into buying the 3rd Voos variation was as much the variation as it was what was hiding on the reverse ricasso. It turned out to have the scarce (rare maybe?) mark of the Berlin distributor Gustav Genschow.

Speaking of distributors, we've all seen fire bayonets dual marked with Tiger & the Munchen distributor Georg Reider. This is probably the most common maker/distributor combo & they're out there. Some dealers have listed them for ridiculous sums but the fact is they're on Eban all the time, often at a fraction of what some of the better known names in the hobby want for them.

I haven't observed many Voos fire bayonets over the years but this was the only time I have seen a Voos dual marked with a distributor.

Attachments
2a.JPG (1169 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15496 - 10/06/09 10:18 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Steven C Offline

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas
Billy, I love the thread so far.and I have a thing for the Voos tm'S I have a heer bayo Voos with no name, very hard to find. let alone on a FW. NICE!

Steve

#15497 - 10/07/09 02:19 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
janjan Offline

Loc: netherlands
here the mekersmark with the little firepolice helmet

Attachments
BAJO_FEUERWEHR_MERK_L.E._(Small).jpg (1138 downloads)

#15498 - 10/07/09 07:28 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
JohnZ Offline

Loc: Calgary
Nowhere near as nice as the ones shown previously, but here is my long sawback with the 35-41 TM

Obverse

Attachments
Blade_Obverse.JPG (1101 downloads)

#15499 - 10/07/09 07:28 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
JohnZ Offline

Loc: Calgary
Obverse really

Attachments
Obverse.JPG (1085 downloads)

Page 3 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 43 44 >