Tranlsate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Page 2 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 ... 43 44 >
Topic Options
#15480 - 10/05/09 07:54 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks for the kind words guys. This hobby is completely a learning experience & it really never stops, I have to say I learned as much as anyone from the old firerman bayonet thread. So many new makers & variations popped up that my head was spinning every time I checked new posts.

Since the last thread disappeared I've picked up a bunch of new & quite interesting pieces that I hope to share with you. I think the last thread brought some heightened interest into this niche & I hope this thread will do the same.

Jan,

A very nice piece with the green felt buffer & unusual blood groove, it looks like it isn't a narrow or wide one. Sort of in between, this is a short model right? From memory, the piece has no maker mark but the owner's initials, right?

Here is a better shot of the rig that was attached to the short '33-'34 Eickhorn sawback.

Attachments
E.JPG (1676 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15481 - 10/05/09 07:57 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

Here's another short Eickhorn sawback that I picked up a few months ago. Very early piece showing the best quality parts & construction despite the slight plate lifting on the ricasso. Wait a minute, that isn't the '33-'34 double oval Eickhorn mark Wink

Attachments
P8100013.JPG (1663 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15482 - 10/05/09 08:03 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

Here's a better shot of the maker mark, a single oval squirrel. First time for me & I'm sure for many of you. When I reserved this piece, I fully expected it to arrive showing obvious signs of grip tampering or other indicia of it being rehilted over the years but alas that was not to be.

When it arrived, it was tight as a drum with very nicely fitted parts. The rivets & bakelite were very early & consistent with the supposed age of the piece, all other parts were looked like Eick production. Even the underside of the frog lug which had the Eickhorn part number 555CE. It was very heavy & was obvious, to me anyway, that the piece was original. A wonderful surprise & something I never thought I'd see.

As you can see, the lifting isn't that deep, certainly not enough to make me pass this one up.

Attachments
P1010005.JPG (1627 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15483 - 10/05/09 08:09 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

Here's a shot showing a comparison of the single oval squirrel to the '33-'34 double oval squirrel. The blades are virtually idential with the exception of the maker's mark. Interestingly, although the hilt of the single oval is Eickhorn shape, it is hefty. The double oval is finer in appearance although it shows the same profile.

As you can see in the picture, the single oval has the early bakelite pattern where the double oval has the more commonly seen pattern. When holding these early Eickhorn pieces one really sees the quality Eick used in their products. I know Pack has it's fans among bayonet collectors & I am certainly one of them but IMO Eick's early quality surpasses them all.

Attachments
P1010012.JPG (1599 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15484 - 10/05/09 08:19 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

A better shot of the obverse view. You can somewhat make out the relative difference in width of the pommels. The crossguards are classic Eickhorn too.

Attachments
P1010011.JPG (1579 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15485 - 10/05/09 08:41 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

While we're on the topic of early sawbacks, this might be a good opportunity to show another piece of similar vintage to the above Eickhorns. Very tight overall & just a pleasure to hold this one. This piece, like the others, shows excellent quality in everything. Same Eickhorn produced hilt, same early bakelite.

Attachments
P3220251.JPG (1554 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15486 - 10/05/09 08:45 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

So we're talking about another Eickhorn here, right? Not exactly. Eickhorn produced perhaps but this piece has another iconic mark, that of the twins of JA Henckels.

It's no secret that some of the larger edged weapons manufacturers supplied smaller makers with bayonet parts over the course of the 3R. We've seen many smaller cottage makers' marks on Eickhorn's products over the years. Not that I would consider Henckels a smaller manufacturer but it's possible to infer that at the time this piece was produced that Henckels didn't have a booming bayonet business & subcontracted with Eickhorn for parts.

I have another early Henckels fire bayonet however this one was produced later than the sawback. The hilt is not Eickhorn produced IMO which only leads me to believe either Henckels subcontracted early in the NS zeit, continued to subcontract with other companies than Eick or started producing their own parts as the war progressed. Anything's possible since Henckels mark on a bayonet is still a pretty scarce item.

Attachments
P3220245.JPG (1539 downloads)

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

#15487 - 10/05/09 09:55 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
JohnZ Offline

Loc: Calgary
Billy:

That single oval Eick is amazing. I have only seen the single oval on very early HJs.

And to get it in that condition is also unbelievable.

Maybe you should buy lottery tickets with your luck Wink

John

#15488 - 10/06/09 01:55 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
jancz3rt Offline

Loc: Czech Republic : The Heart of ...
quote:
Originally posted by Billy G.:
Jan,

A very nice piece with the green felt buffer & unusual blood groove, it looks like it isn't a narrow or wide one. Sort of in between, this is a short model right? From memory, the piece has no maker mark but the owner's initials, right?

Hi Billy, yes indeed. It has the initials LH on the blade, but as we agreed, it's not a TM or a distributor mark.

Beautiful bayonets you posted guys, I cannot stop but stare at these repeatedly. I have yet to acquire a sawback, but hey, sooner or later, I will have one too Smile

JAN Big Grin

#15489 - 10/06/09 07:02 PM Re: Fire Bayonet Thread
Billy G. Offline

John,

The Eick is a special piece & I'm happy it's here surrounded by bunches of relatives Smile Had I not snagged it before you, I have no doubt it would have been going to Canada. It definitely fits a niche in my collection as well as a link in the evolutionary chain in the 3R fireman's bayonet sawbacks. The good news is none of these pieces are unique, when we see another I'll be sure steer you to it. BTW, your luck with 2nd Lufts is the stuff of legend.

Jan,

Many thanks for the kind words. The sawbacks are out there too. You'll be able to find a nice one at your price if you just keep looking. Probably when you least expect it. That's exactly when I found the Henckels, just when I wasn't looking for it. Drop me an email with your preferences, maybe something will come around.
GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310

Page 2 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 ... 43 44 >