Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#154006 03/26/2008 01:28 PM
Jim W Offline OP
OP Offline
This is my one example by Puma with the Puma marked hanger.

Jim

P1010107.JPG (49.56 KB, 557 downloads)
Jim W Offline OP
OP Offline
complete dagger. This dagger came without leather. You can see where leather was at one time, glued to the original factory paint.

I note that every one of these that comes from a major dealer has fairly new looking leather on it. Speaking with other collectors, I have the understanding the daggers often did not have leather.

What are the thoughts?

Jim

P1010098.JPG (45.49 KB, 555 downloads)
H
H
Jim, that is one beautiful looking Labor Corp dagger that you have!

I agree that examples of these daggers are found with or without a leather covered scabbard. From my observations, the ones produced in Bulgaria (or at least not maker marked) often times are not leather covered and show no traces of ever having been. The "German" produced ones seem to have been leather covered. By the way, Puma is the only firm (outside of Bulgaria) that I have seen as a maker of these daggers. Anyone have an example made by another German firm? Another variation I have seen are examples of those with or without a grooved blade. As I mentioned in another post, many variations in Bulgarian daggers seem to exist.

Jim, interesting to note that my Labor dagger came with cloth hangers and not a chain. I always assumed that a chain hanger was correct for this piece. However, I wonder if a cloth one was used at some point in time or was it an option. Most Labor daggers that I have seen are without a hanger of any sort so I have always wondered why when so many other hangers seem to exist.

I will take some pictures of my Labor Corp and post them later today.

Gary

P
P
Hi Jim,
Jim, probably you know that there are 2 models Bulgarian Labor daggers - 1st model was produced in Germany - Puma blade and 2nd model /l?te war/ was produced in Bulgaria with plain blade.
I have one 2nd model and it’s scabbard has some oddments from leather,but I don’t know if it’s original or not.
Just once I sow a dagger with leather on the scabbard.All Labor daggers wich I sow in Bulgaria are painted.I don't know the reason,but I can tell you that the Bulgarian Air forces daggers produced in Solengen with leather on the scabbards, but in practice very soon the daggers lost the leather and than the scabbards have been painted.
Probably with Labor's daggers had the same problem.

P
P
Jim ,
I'm agree with Cary - dagger has cloth hangers.

LABOR_DAGGER_001.jpg (85.38 KB, 522 downloads)
P
P
Compare together 1st and 2nd model

LABOR_DAGGER.jpg (96.48 KB, 513 downloads)
P
P
The pommels

LABOR_DAGGER_005.jpg (92.75 KB, 519 downloads)
H
H
Here are a few pics of my Labor dagger. This one has a painted scabbard and is Bulgarian marked on the blade.

Gary

labor1.JPG (52.12 KB, 511 downloads)
H
H
pic2

labor2.JPG (51.12 KB, 504 downloads)
H
H
pic 3

labor3.JPG (67.92 KB, 497 downloads)
I love these Bulgarian daggers....Only have one so far

ALWAYS BUYING ITALIAN/ FASCIST MILITARIA > AND SOVIET DAGGERS
Jim W Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the discussion guys. I assume both are ok. please keep in mind that the chain on mine is marked Puma and the only place we have ever seen this chain is with the Puma labor leaders dagger.

Go ahead and post the cloth hangers so people can see them.

Jim

H
H
Jim, there's no doubt in my mind that your chain is 100% correct. There's a bigger question in my mind about my cloth hangers. So far, it appears as though some hangers might have been used or acceptable to use, on a variety of Bulgarian daggers. I can't say for sure because it would have been so easy to swap them around and there's not much reference material for any conclusive opinions. However, I have seen what I believed were Police hangers attached to Army, Brannik Leaders and Police daggers and I don't know why. However, I would think that if all Labor daggers came with chains, you would see them more often. After all, the chains would hold up much better than cloth hangers so where did they all go? So many questions and not enough answers.

Regarding my hangers for the Labor dagger, I will try to post pictures of all of my hangers at a later date. Here's why. I do not display any hangers with my daggers so they are stored "off site". I just don't have the space and in my mind, cloth hangers are somewhat fragile so they are packaged in air tight bags. It's similar to the products you see advertised like, space saver bags or the vacuum sealing bags for vegetables. Now quit your laughing as I'm sure you must think that I'm being anal about them. Well you're probably right. However, being they are not on display and might be sold with the daggers at a future date, it seemed wise to protect them as best I could. However, I do have pictures of some my daggers with the hangers attached. As we discuss each model, I will be sure to post pics of them with hangers if available. If we decide to start a thread just on Bulgarian hangers, I will unpack them all and post pics.

Gary

P
P
Hi Jim,
I haven’t hangers for Labor dagger , but I have seen 2-3 daggers with cloth hangers.
They are similar to Army,Police and Gandarmerie hangers The diference is the colour of the cloth .The Labor hangers has brown colour.
Also in mr.Predov book is mention – quote “Labor daggers has hangers made by thick cotton cloth ornate with dark-brown band , without tinsel fibre ”.
Except of Fire officer dagger all other Bulgarian daggers have cloth hangers.

Jim W Offline OP
OP Offline
I think we are all agreeing here.

I don not know when or to who the chained hangers were used, but it is clear to me that there were other hangers. The shear lack of numbers of chain hangers tells me that. This is why I refer to them as ultra rare. If there were more of these indicating universal use, we would not have this discussion. We do not see many of these so I assume the chain hangers only came with the Solingen daggers. So, I do not know if these just came with the dagger and the wearer used a more standard cloth hanger, or if these were presentation daggers warranting the different hanger. In short, I do not know.

But, I do not doubt there are cloth hangers.

I also note several different hangers available for different daggers in Bulgaria. When we are doing the army daggers, we can expand on this.

Gary, I also store my hangers different. Mine is due to space also.

Interesting.

Jim

zet Offline
Hi guys i purchased this dagger but really Im surprised about thi one. It looks like made of brass but plated nickel or chrome.

bulgar_1.jpg (64.11 KB, 371 downloads)
zet Offline
There is no signs of leather under the bands

bulgar_2.jpg (68.39 KB, 369 downloads)
zet Offline
crossguard looks properly we can see some rust under the bands

bulgar_3.jpg (60.4 KB, 361 downloads)
zet Offline
maker mark looks good

bulgar_7.jpg (69.86 KB, 358 downloads)
zet Offline
on the other side sign of king Boris?

bulgar_9.jpg (68.07 KB, 356 downloads)
zet Offline
maker mark on the scabbard

bulgar_10.jpg (47.15 KB, 347 downloads)
zet Offline
the lost of plating looks originall but this one looks other to compare Yours daggers.I will be happy to hear Yours opinion.Ted

bulgar_11.jpg (66.34 KB, 341 downloads)
H
H
Hi Zet,

Very interesting Labor dagger that you have in your collection. I have never seen one chrome plated or maker marked on the scabbard. I especially like that little detail. Smile Also, I don't believe that I've seen a blade maker marked on one side and King Boris on the other. It's usually one or the other to the best of my knowledge. In my opinion, the dagger is an original one that as you stated, has been plated for some reason. One thought comes to mind is that it was not uncommon for many "war souvenirs" to be chrome plated. This was very common on German helmets and I have seen it on Japanese blades and many other items. However, the strong possibility exists that it was originally plated for a special reason. I'm also wondering if it could be a very early production due to the maker marked scabbard. In any event, it's a great looking dagger that deserves more research! Thank you for showing it to us.

Gary

Jim W Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Zet.

On the maker mark and Boris on the other side. This is the same as my Puma and I suspect all original Pumas the same as Zets.

I was surprised at the scabbard being maker marked and checked mine and what a nice surprise, mine is maker marked also. So the basic trapings of Zets daggers are true to the other models.

On the plating, I am not so kind as Gary. He is quite correct with the veterans penchant after the war for plating things. Plated pistols were a favorite of US GI's.

However, chrome was a material not used on daggers (with rare exception) and certainly not by the Germans. Add that to the pentchant of some East Europeans to plate everything, leads me to question this plating.

That being said, I would like this one in my collection without hesitation.

Jim

P
P
Hi Zet,
I have never seen a dagger like yours. I have two 1st model Puma’s daggers with maker mark and Boris III on the other side on the blades and marked scabbards also. I’m agree with Gary that your dagger could be a very early production but the pommel looks to me like a second model.
Zet are you sure that plating is nickel or chrome.I just wonder if this could be silver?
Any way this is a great looking dagger. Thank you that you share your collection with us.

zet Offline
Hi Guys first I want to say thanks for Yours opinion and help.Second it is really pleasure to me to contact with so nice and helpfull persons its a pity only virtually Ive dream about meet You all in real.To Gary and Jim I looked at the dagger many times and after very clear inspection I rather would say that plating looks originall and factory made.As You can see in my previous posts Ive tried to arrange some plating on SA and it is impossible to make plating without cover such small letters in maker mark and crossguard.In my opinion everything should be flooded mean all lost sharp details.But it is only my opinion maybe Gary is right. On the other hand it is possible to remove plating with no problem ,but this is a question is it restoration or damage?Only one thing is suprised for me what material is on the emblem in the crossguard and scabbard?.If it is aluminium in Yours dagger it is impossible to plate it by chrom or nickel.To Pesho I wish to have silver plated dagger unfortunatelly it is chrom or nickel for sure.Please have a look at my next post I will show my next interesting Yugo dagger.All the best for all of You and happy hunting for dagger.It is funny I can tell a short story what happend me lately.I met my ex girlfriend we havent seen 22 years and she asked me whats really turn me on Wink(without subtitle) I said daggers, she was very suprised and we had LOL.. Big Grin

Jim W Offline OP
OP Offline
Zet.

1st, to correct that both the Germans, and the guy I know down the street can plate nickle over aluminum. There is a process where an intermediary metal is first used. But, just so you know it was done by the Germans prioe to WWII.

I do not know if this plating is original or not. But, let us determine what it really is plated with.

The Polish collectors taught me how to distinquish between chrome and nickle. So, Zet, you should already know this. You take the "finger nail clippers" that we all have. The small one that folds up. These are chrome plated. You only need to hold the fingernail clipper up to the dagger. If the dagger is darker, more silver, it is nickle. If it is the same, it is chrome.

I will bow to your opinion on the originality of this finish Zet, but in the photo of the mouth of the scabbard. They lost plating looks like replate. Historically the scabbard mouth is most protected and the finish there is the last to go, not the first.

But, all that being said, please do not do anything to this dagger. The minute you stip off old finish or put on new, the options on the dagger end. Hayabusa's thought that it might be something special may very well be true. So why risk it.

No, the answer here is simply buy a second one for your collection (always a good excuse) and keep showing this one till the dead heros family solves the mistery.

Just my opinion

Jim

P
P
Interesting discussion.

At first I thought the dagger could be an NCO equivalent rank rather than an officer...along the lines of the Hungarian Dagger system of officer's in "gold" and NCO in silver.

However, the PUMA quality might imply the opposite - a dagger for a senior officer.

I suppose it would take finding regulations for the Bulgarian Labor Service uniform (and someone to read them) to get an idea if there was a gold versus silver
differentiation in accessory or insignia color to base a theory on.

There also seems to be wear inside the ring holders. However, there doesn't seem to be much wear to the rings themselves.

The absence of a washer implies it could have rotted away...perhaps causing a chemical reaction with the scabbard throat plating that resulted its loosening.

P
P
By the way, what's the market on the chained Labor Dagger these days. The only one I can find is on Johnson's site and is $3500. I presume that's somewhat above and beyond.

And while, what's the value on a Bulgarian Army with a vertical leather hanger?

Jim W Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi paulj.

I have not seen any of the labor leaders daggers at all change hands, let alone a Puma with the Puma chain. So, I can not give you an answer.

The Bulgarian army with hanger can trade for $1,500 to my belief, but I was recently contacted by a legitimate collector who thought his was worth about $3,000. I think Johnson has quite a few of these at a good price. They are undervalued.

Just my opinion

P
P
Thanks Jim. I have a Bulgarian made chained labor and the army with a leather hanger. I've been contemplating parting with them but just don't see any around in a similar configuration to get a idea of their value.

Johnson has several armies and labor without hangers. The chained ones, however, are "price on request" and those were at $3500 last time I asked.

I agree these are undervalued considering the prices of common Third Reich pieces. But then, it;s a supply and demand factor involved as opposed to rarity.

Notice the mayor difference between these two daggers.

- difference in grips
- difference in pommel shape
- difference blade shape
- difference on grip ring

bug-4.jpg (89.5 KB, 313 downloads)
A
A J Offline
A
Difference in crossguards number of scabbard rings and scabbard chapes nothing the same is one original and the other a copy?Dont ask me which but so much variance seems strange

A
A J Offline
A
Isnt one on right parts dagger having pommel grip ferrule and blade from a Bulgarian Army dagger with scabbard and crossguard from a Labor dagger with variation scabbard
Just my casual observations

P
P
Hi Tobi,

I’m agree with A J that these daggers are quite different:
The dagger on right is a fake:
- from what I can see from this picture the pommel looks like an original Army
- the grip and ferrule looks like army too ,but I’m sure that are fakes .
- the crossguard is fake too.
- The blade is unknown to me, but obviously isn’t Army or Labor.

quote:
Hi Tobi,

I’m agree with A J that these daggers are quite different:
The dagger on right is a fake:
- from what I can see from this picture the pommel looks like an original Army
- the grip and ferrule looks like army too ,but I’m sure that are fakes .
- the crossguard is fake too.
- The blade is unknown to me, but obviously isn’t Army or Labor.

Hi pesho,
Both Bulgarian daggers are genuine (not fake).
By my opinion these are variations that were in use during the time.
Left dagger is from PUMA factory and right one (by my opinion) are from domestic factory or is it “official” made from original parts – and so worn.
PS both daggers are more that 20 years in my collection.
Tobi

Jim W Offline OP
OP Offline
This is a good discussion.

I can't quite agree with the term fake as being used towards this dagger.

I would like someone to explain to me the difference from the two crossguards other that one being hand enhanced by the Puma firm and the other being slapped together by a local jeweler making some money off assembling parts and offering a low cost alternative to a Solingen dagger.

There is no doubt this a Army Grip, Ferrel, and pommel, but why wouldn't he use the grip produced locally.

Also, these is no real profit in making a parts labor leaders dagger. At least not 20 years ago. And not even 3 years ago.

There were numerous examples for sale on Ebay years ago and the home grown ones had everything from painted wood grips to modified scabbards.

Just my 2 cents and please feal free to disagree.

Jim

Hi,
Hi,
I am agreeing with Jim discussion and it confirms me my opinion that all daggers was genuine and wore in that time.
PS. Please some other daggers from my collections (purchased more that 20 years ago) and look for the differences in crossguards, pommels, grips and so on…

PS. TO MODERATOR – IN AIM FOR BETTER PHOTOS AND CLEARER DETAILS - PLEASE ALOVE MORE SIZE THAN 110 KB

Tobi

DSC05387xaa.jpg (104.96 KB, 260 downloads)
Backsides of daggers

DSC05388X.jpg (107.17 KB, 260 downloads)
P
P
Hi friends,
In the previous post I expressed my opinion regarding this dagger and now I’ll try to explain
As far as I know there are two models of Bulgarian Royal Labor Service daggers only – 1st and 2nd model. The main difference between these two daggers is :

1.- The style of the blades 1st model have PUMA marked blade and scabbard, 2nd model plane bladeBy the way t/ similar to daggers Nr 3 with white grip/.
2.-The pommels – 2st model have open-work / three pieces/ pommel - similar to pommel of dagger Nr 3 with white grip/ , 2nd model have bronze cast of the same pommel.
3- I have seen two kinds cross guards – one cast together with the ferrule and other with separate cross guard and ferrule, the furrule looks like dagger Nr 2. The different is that 1st model have gold gilded cross guard and the Royal emblem is silver, 2nd model bronze cross guard and the Royal emblem made by unknown for me white metal. I never have seen ferrule like Nr 3 and 4.
4.- The symbol of the Labors Army on the scabbard also should be silver for 1st model and silver gilded for 2d model.
5.- From what I sow in the pictures there is big different between lion head , symbol of the Labors Army on the scabbard and Royal emblem on the cross guards. Obviously the dagger on left have more good workmanship of these elements.

Tobbi , you have these daggers in your hands. Do you see any difference.
Can post some close up pictures from the cross guards and symbol of the Labors Army on the scabbard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,686 SS Bayonets
1,762,093 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,039 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Evgeniy - 04/18/2024 10:48 AM
Overslept a development???
by Gerrit1963 - 04/18/2024 07:04 AM
Study and learning materials
by Gaspare - 04/17/2024 02:23 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/17/2024 01:58 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,022
Members7,517
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
8 members (atis, Stephen, Billy G., Evgeniy, Vern, Documentalist, Honestmike, Imphy58), 721 guests, and 89 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod