Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128763 07/11/2007 10:48 PM
Dave Online Content OP
OP Online Content
This is intended for the new collector or collectors who have recently joined us on the Internet. More experienced collectors might also benefit from glancing through this, too

If you got this far, Welcome to GDC. We have a varied and sometimes anonymous membership. Most everyone signed up here to learn or to help build the knowledge base of our hobby. But, we have the occasional person who has signed up to seek out newer collectors so they can steal their money with various scams. Also, if you found GDC then you probably found eBay, other forums, various dealer sites, and other auction venues. They have their share of the same people too.

We have "For Sale" and "Wanted" Forums. All logged-on Members can see them. To post in these Forums, You will need to purchase a Premium Membership at $32.95 per year. Look at the top right of this page where it says CLICK HERE for instructions. If can't use PayPal or have other problems email me dave@germandaggers.com.

We have a large number of knowledgeable collectors so feel free to ask their advice in any of the dedicated forums. It is often good to include a photo or two.

Again, Welcome

OK, now for some advice about the Dark Side:

- Do not ever respond to unsolicited emails offering you militaria. You have probably been selected as a pigeon to be plucked. One chronic offender is Pawel Tomasz Nowak of Poland. If he obtains your email address, he will send you documentation and incredible offers, but he will screw you.

- Don’t buy anything for a while except reference books. Go to shows and handle the stuff you like. Find local collectors who will help educate you. Ask questions here. Until you have a decent measure of knowledge in your particular interest you should keep your hands (and your wallet) in your pocket.

- Do not bid on German WWII Militaria on eBay unless you are considering like a $20 tinnie and can afford to loose $25. Note that it is against eBay rules to sell anything Nazi except books and stamps so that if you do get taken, you will get no sympathy or help from eBay or PayPal.

- If you DO decide to tempt your fate on eBay:

1. Never bid on an item where the seller’s feedback or bidders ID is hidden or ‘private’. You will hear various ingenious explanations why these are not shown, but do not be fooled.

2. Never bid on an item where ‘all sales are final’. The usual excuse is that these are consignment items, but that is hogwash. Honest sellers of consigned items give doinspection periods.

3. Read the seller’s feedback. Carefully.

4. Don't pay attention to the 'story'. It is usually 'taken off a dead German', 'brought in by the widow of a vet who needed grocery money', or something similar. It may be true .. or not, but that is not what you are buying.

5. Decide before you bid what the item is worth to you and bid no more. Auctions depend on ego competitions to pump up prices.

6. Do not take up second chance offers or offers from a seller after the auction is canceled.

Some General Advice:

1. Never buy anything from any of the old Warsaw Pact nations unless you live in that country itself or are very experienced.

2. Never buy anything where the payment is required to be by bank transfer or Western Union.

3. Buy only in the country in which you live if possible. You understand the legal system, speak the language, and have access to the police who can follow up your complaint.

4. Request that your purchase be sent via your country’s postal system. Most countries have much more severe penalties for those who use their postal service to cheat people than they do for those cheated via private companies like FedEx or UPS. Pay for insurance and for signature confirmation / tracking of delivery.

5. Remember that images can be stolen very easily so it is NOT a certainty that the seller really owns that item. If you have doubts, ask for a picture from a different angle or picture that includes a simple item like a coin. If you are refused additional photos, it might be because the person does not have the item … or there are cracks or dents that would appear in different views. Move on.

6. If you are in doubt about a seller, do a search here or on other forums, and Google. Or, post a question asking whether others have experience of this seller.

7. You should have a "no questions asked" chance to review and return the item with the proviso that you pay the original postage and insurance and well as the postage and insurance on the way back. Do NOT mess with the item because in that case you just bought it !

8. You should not have to pay a "restocking fee" or a similar charge if you return the item within the agreed period. If a dealer site says he charges for "restocking fee" for items returned under a "no questions asked" guaranty, then find another dealer.

9. If you put an item on lay-away and change your mind, then you SHOULD expect to pay some sort of fee as the seller was kind enough to take he item off the shelf for you when he could have sold it to others.

10. "Lifetime Guarantees" are sometimes offered. You should ask what that means as interpretations may well vary. Get specifics.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Hohaus; 05/13/2013 11:42 PM.
#128764 03/12/2008 10:58 PM
Dave
I tried sending you a private message but I guess I don't have permission.

Another suggestion for us newbies would be how we should handle asking on the forums about rarity of a particular maker and the McSaar rarity scale.

Perhaps you should suggest that we purchase the McSaar as well as reference books.

#128765 05/13/2008 08:35 AM
R
R
As a relative new comer to GDC, I have just come across this thread.

Very valuable advice especially about our “friend” Mr Nowak.

I would however like to comment on a couple of things Dave wrote from the perspective of a bayonet collector.

Never, ever, buy anything from any of the old Warsaw Pact nations unless you live in that country itself

I think this is a little harsh – I’ve purchased 20 - 30 Austrian, Czech and Polish bayonets from ex WP countries and never had a problem.

Buy only in the country in which you live

I buy mainly from within the UK where I live, however, again I’ve never had a problem with the items I’ve purchased on eBay from the US and other countries.

Richie

#128766 05/13/2008 12:09 PM
Dave Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Richie,

Those comments are meant for the new collector so he does not get scammed until he learn the pitfalls of collecting.

If you have 20-30 bayonets, then you are more advanced than a new collector

Dave

B
B
Lol, Didn,t join this site for more than 4 days and got a email from mentioned person. Pawel Nowak

S
S
Can anyone recommend the best book that covers WWII edged weapons, axis and/or allies? It would be nice to have one all inclusive book w/ photos instead of several smaller ones.

Von zwei Übeln wählt man besser das, was man schon kennt.
Dave Online Content OP
OP Online Content
That book has yet to written.

Dave

Originally Posted By: spacey
Can anyone recommend the best book that covers WWII edged weapons, axis and/or allies? It would be nice to have one all inclusive book w/ photos instead of several smaller ones.

Originally Posted By: Dave Hohaus
That book has yet to written.

Dave

Oh boy, yep, true, true ... BUT ...

Hi Spacer!

Well, theres not ONE book but there are several books, that you can read to learn! I learn\learned most I think from period\wartime stuff, but, also, from a book called "Me Fecit Solingen" by Skipper Greenwade. Thats older but, very good, and, very inspirational! And also, if you can, get your hands on "Service Daggers of SA and NSKK" by Siegert. That book has so much fotographs! And also a guide how to start collecting, that is nice to read, and helpful.

Also, wait for the book by William Warda and Thom Witmann, not sure, but, I ~~think~~ its gonna be good! The big series by Thom Johnson, is also very helpful, "collecting the edged weapons of the 3rd Reich", pick the 1st and 5th books if you only want SA/SS/NSKK.

For allies, I only know 2 Fairbairn-Sykes books ... 1 wartime book, "Get Touch" and "Fairbairn Commando Dagger". But, theres SO much to learn, around these things! Take Fairbairn, the name of a UK major actualy. If you learn about a knife, or dagger, you need to also learn, about the background, if you wanna know what is fake\faul and what aint. Even then its VERY difficult, to see, or understand. Each type, of whatever axis or allies, has a history, and a use, and people, stuck to the making, the designing, the using. Its great fun ... The knives\daggers, you collect, tell you more, if you know a bit more. And also, you know earlier, when people give you nonsense.

Reading from the period when your knives are from, are always the best. Period catalogs, or, sometimes just magazines with ads too. Its best to do your own research, dont depend on others, and, DONT take ANY modern book\forum\person for truth!!! But you can learn MUCH from them. Below, a 3rd pattern Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife, with the wartime 1st print Get Touch book. Enjoy the learning-ride!!

Bye,
KR

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.
Dave #282727 05/13/2013 09:12 PM
how do I post on wanted threads?

nurseswim
nurseswim #282739 05/13/2013 11:46 PM
Dave Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Look in the to right hand corner of this page. Where the leaf turns from blue to red.

If that does not work for you, email me dave@germandaggers.com

Dave #313850 12/14/2015 04:48 PM
Hi Gents,

I totally agree with Dave's General Advice #1: "Never buy anything from any of the old Warsaw Pact nations".

I have been burned twice:

1. I purchased my first dagger on EBay from Poland. The dagger was fake.
2. Purchased another dagger on EBay from Romania. Received different dagger. The item description page show dagger in mint cognition but I received rusted and scratched piece of junk.

Keep away from the old Warsaw Pact nations!

Alex

C
C
Hi Dave, I am new to the Forum. Joined to get some knowledge about German Daggers. About to purchase my first, a Model 1933 SS Dagger (Boker) and am a little nervous as I am an easy target. Dagger has never been cleaned. Obtained from family of someone in Rainbow Division. Ebony grip perfect.Scabbard 100% original and straight. Blade excellent plus condition except for surface age blemish where Vet probably touched and didn't clean. $3500. Hope that sounds about right. Any advice?
Best Regards,
Steve O'Sullivan
captsteveo@att.net

Dave Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Steve,

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

Your description and price sound good but without pictures I could not be sure. Hope you can post some.

Regards,
Dave

B
B
Hi Dave
I have just joined the forum I have experienced purchasing HJ pieces over a number of years but I am now looking to expand my collection into the more serious expense of SS and SA .during my research leading up to this change in my collecting direction I notice the name of rainbow company cropping up more and more as Steve has mentioned it above excuse my lack of knowledge but is there a reason why it seems to be so popular.

Thank you Graham

Dave Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Not sure what you mean by rainbow company.

Dave

B
B
Hi fellas
My mistake I was referring to rainbow division.I can only assume that they have a reputation over in your fine country for a large number of bring backs from the conflict.

Graham

I must admit I am not sure what you are getting at.

Perhaps you can give us an example. I have not seen much advertised as related to the Rainbow Division. We also know to buy the item, not the story.

If you are seeing advertisements including that statement similar to Steve's, it could be the last of the Veterans are dying off and their estates are coming up. After all, the rainbow division fought in both wars.

Last edited by Jim W; 01/18/2017 11:36 PM.
Dave Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Yes, tell us a bit more and we'll try to help.

Dave

Hi,
I am a fairly new member here and also to collecting edged weapons, My question is regarding seeking advice on this forum before making a decision to buy or not from online dealers sites. Can I post photos of daggers etc. taken from dealers websites here for opinions and if so should I simply say that the pics are taken from a dealers website and should the dealers names be mentioned or not? are there copyright problems in doing this? I often see pieces that I want to buy but am not sure if they're right or not and at the same time am unsure of whether I can post dealers site images for expert advice from the very experienced and knowledgeable members and admin on this forum. I think clarification on this matter would be very useful for the new collectors to know.
Thanks, Andy.

Online Content
The simplest method is to post a link to the dagger you are interested in. Some dealers don't mind if their photos are posted for discussion, and some are totally against it, so it is difficult to set a standard. If there is a copyright notice on the photos, then they should not be copied.

[Linked Image from germandaggers.com]
Visit us at www.GermanDaggers.com
Contact me at Vern@GermanDaggers.com
Hi Vern, Thanks for your reply that has cleared things up for me nicely thanks.
Regards, Andy.
Originally Posted by Vern
The simplest method is to post a link to the dagger you are interested in. Some dealers don't mind if their photos are posted for discussion, and some are totally against it, so it is difficult to set a standard. If there is a copyright notice on the photos, then they should not be copied.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,261,527 SS Bayonets
1,760,292 Teno Insignia Set
1,128,769 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Luftwaffe Swords
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:29 PM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 07:13 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/27/2024 07:05 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Stephen - 03/27/2024 10:06 AM
Hiddensee brooch
by benten - 03/24/2024 04:13 PM
Latest New Posts
F Dula with a twist
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 03/28/2024 09:29 PM
Personalized reproduction honor ring source?
by Simone - 03/28/2024 08:57 PM
HJ Fahrtenmesser,
by OWN - 03/28/2024 06:18 PM
Wir fahren gegen Engelland - Battle of Britain
by Gaspare - 03/28/2024 12:34 AM
Paul Weyersberg Heer
by Tanker - 03/27/2024 11:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,652
Posts328,708
Members7,501
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
15 members (benten, C. Wetzel-20609, Mikee, Jonesy, Dave, Vern, The_Collector, Documentalist, Honestmike, Baz69, Simone, Nietzsche, Stephen, JonathanC, Tanker), 380 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod