UBB.threads
Posted By: Gladiator41 WEYERSBERG & STAMM SWORD INFO PLEASE - 05/24/2011 01:48 AM

Blade marked Weyersberg & Stamm Solingen.....
What year was this made? WW1?........Any info
appreciated........Thanks...Dave

Attached picture SWORD2.jpg
Attached picture SWORD3.jpg
Attached picture SWORD4.jpg
WEYERSBERG & STAMM was a late 19th century maker that did some contract work for Bavaria. However, the sword itself is not in my main area. And without doing my homework, the overall style is that of an Infantry officer. And while some other states used the same general style. It could also be Austrian, vaguely recalling some comparable examples made (or marked) from Vienna. With Solingen also supplying many swords in that era to the Austrian Empire. FP
Posted By: ORPO Re: WEYERSBERG & STAMM SWORD INFO PLEASE - 05/24/2011 04:25 AM
Yes, an Austrian Model 1861 Infantry Officer sabre. These were used through WWI but the maker would date prior to WWI as FP points out.
Originally Posted By: ORPO
Yes, an Austrian Model 1861 Infantry Officer sabre. These were used through WWI but the maker would date prior to WWI as FP points out.

Thanks George, that works for me. smile smile The company also made swords for Prussia which is more in one of my primary areas of interest. Having an 1871 dated Prussian M 1852 Kavalleriesäbel by WEYERSBERG & STAMM. And maybe some more examples than that - but I still have not gotten around to reorganizing the long blades. Best Regards to All, Fred
Posted By: Dow Cross Re: WEYERSBERG & STAMM SWORD INFO PLEASE - 05/24/2011 07:21 PM
Another quick way to date a sword is the grip material this one is a shark or ray skin. Which was pretty much discontinued after WWI.
Posted By: Gladiator41 Re: WEYERSBERG & STAMM SWORD INFO PLEASE - 05/25/2011 12:21 AM

I appreciate all the great info!
I have several German edged weapons but this is the first sword in my collection.
I was suprised to find the blade in such bright condition...The metal scabbard
has protected it well for the past 100 years or so..........
Question...... Would you say this sword is a commonly seen piece or less common?

Thanks.........Dave
Posted By: ORPO Re: WEYERSBERG & STAMM SWORD INFO PLEASE - 05/25/2011 04:20 PM
Dave,

It is a fairly common sword, at least for Austrian swords.
Originally Posted By: ORPO
Dave,

It is a fairly common sword, at least for Austrian swords.

That is also true for most Infantry officer swords as being the ones most commonly encountered, as the Infantry was the largest single entity in the various Armies. With one very notable exception to that rule being the German enlisted men's off duty dress swords for the mounted formations. FP
Posted By: Gladiator41 Re: WEYERSBERG & STAMM SWORD INFO PLEASE - 05/30/2011 11:18 PM
Yes....That makes complete sense to me that an infantry type sword would be most common. Thanks for all ....Dave
© Your new forums