UBB.threads
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 07/30/2017 12:54 PM
Hello all, I'd like to solicit your opinions please on this short dress bayonet with frog I've recently added... other than some age on the pommel and quillon, maybe a bit of wear and spidering on the ricasso near the maker mark- (a lion)- I believe this to be made by carl lütters & cie (löwenwerk). I know this is a rare maker of SA daggers, is it also rarer for dress bayonets? Thank you,
Byz

Attached picture IMG_8410.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8411.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8412.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8414.JPG
Attached picture IMG_8413.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 07/30/2017 03:21 PM
Mike:

That does look like the Lutters lion to me as well. I can't say that I have seen a bayonet with this mark on it before.

John
Posted By: Billy G. Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 07/30/2017 04:37 PM
That's the reclining lion of Carl Lütters.

In terms of fire bayonets, this mark is the more common of the two marks Lütters used. The scarcer mark uses the lion with the company name in an arc over the lion & Solingen underneath.
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 07/31/2017 12:47 AM
Thank you gentlemen, very much... Is the reclining lion still a rare/scarce maker for these ks98 (short) dress bayonets? Has anyone seen another of these as a short dress bayonet? Thank you, again for any opinions
Posted By: Billy G. Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 07/31/2017 02:53 AM
Mike,

You're welcome, always happy to help. Lütters isn't a rare mark, IMHO, probably scarce. I've seen both Long & skort model KS98s with this mark although I tended to pay more attention strictly to fire bayonets.
Posted By: Massimo Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 08/02/2017 01:51 PM
Hi,
I have too rhis K98 bayonet.
They are made after 1945 or before?
Which use for?
Thanks ciao

Attached picture rsz_04_-_baionetta_tedesca_mauser_k98_da_parata.jpg
Attached picture rsz_07_-_baionetta_tedesca_mauser_k98_da_parata.jpg
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 08/02/2017 02:04 PM
Hi massimo
I'm not even close to a dagger guy by a long shot- but what you have is also a short as opposed to "long" dress/parade/"walking out" bayonet. They were plated, as ours both are- and really more for the pomp and circumstance than the battlefield ("combat" bayonets are quite different) I also have an eickhorn ks98 like yours, these were made pre-1945. Check out this forum's maker mark guide on the sidebar- and you can date your particular eickhorn that way. I think that's similar to the mark from 36-41, so yes- pre-45. However I'm hoping to see some more lutters marks (the lion) as I've not seen any on these bayonets... just a rookie guess, but I think carl eickhorn is probably one of if not the most common and prolific maker of edged weapons during the entire third Reich period. Still, condition counts- and imho yours looks pretty nice! Congrats!
Mike
Posted By: Massimo Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 08/02/2017 07:57 PM
Hi Mike
thanks for the info
so i take care of my parade bayonet
ciao
Posted By: TKissinger Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 08/07/2017 09:34 PM

As Billy stated earlier the bottom Lutters TM is the one that is hard to find. I have the top two with short blades
Posted By: Steven C Re: New ks98 bayonet- rare maker? - 09/23/2017 09:13 PM
Mike I'll add this for reference. Here is a resting lion with the trademark and name on a long blade with magnetic hilt and thin cross guard. The rivits are offset style like you see with E-Pack spanner bolts.

Steve,

Attached picture image.jpeg
© Your new forums