UBB.threads
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Fighting knife mystery - 07/08/2017 01:58 AM
I have this fighting knife with walnut grips, odd pommel- unmarked but very well made and sharp (parkerized?) blade. All the personalization was done by a vet of the us signal corps of the ETO Albert J Anna (his serial number is on the scabbard, last name on the grips, enlisted in 1942.) any idea where this knife is from, what country or company? Thank you!

Attached picture IMG_7518.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7520.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7524.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7525.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7526.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7527.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7528.JPG
Posted By: Militarynut Re: Fighting knife mystery - 07/08/2017 12:34 PM
hi mike
your fighting knife was made here in america back in war time era no doubts in my mind if i was to guess it was made by one of many knife makers machinest experenced knife makers at this time all these americans made knifes for the war effort they made them out of what ever steel they could get thier hands on like old car springs/old files old hindges old steel tools etc just for some extra great information america made most all the english enfield rifles for england they were produced by savage arms utica new york hope i answered your question on your fighting knife the leather scabard is defenitly made for that knife next case please god bless all the historian andy militarynut
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Fighting knife mystery - 07/11/2017 03:22 AM
man that really looks like a 'last ditch' blade/knife. And yes an interesting pommel.. Anna huh. Wonder if its a real gal or just the name of his killing tool!
How long Mike? Looks long,,is it close to Bayonet length?
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Fighting knife mystery - 07/11/2017 03:50 AM
I didn't measure, but I'd say the blade is 9 or 10 inches! I'm not sure it's a sweetheart- the GIs name was Albert J.Anna; so that's probably all it was. I had a guy tell me he thought it was an Australian knife. That was not my first guess I can tell you that!
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Fighting knife mystery - 07/11/2017 06:32 AM
Aahh so just his last name.. I was hoping for a killer knife named after his sweetheart! I'm off, crazy I know it, but would have been cool! wink

Do you think maybe that handle was damaged and thats an old replacement. IF its an issue piece there are a couple really good fighting knife books [new & old] maybe one of the members will see this topic and have some info for you..
Posted By: BAMA Re: Fighting knife mystery - 07/11/2017 07:01 PM
My guess would be a theater made knife. Since the guy was in the signal corps I’m wondering if maybe the pommel might have been some kind of radio knob.
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Fighting knife mystery - 07/12/2017 03:03 AM
Wow Bama! That's a great thought! I will look st it again and take more pictures, it WAS the pommel that was throwing me.. but I swear I've seen it before- maybe you are right! Thanks for the insightful comment!
© Your new forums